installing ms sql 2000 server in windows XP home edition

installing ms sql 2000 server in windows XP home edition

Post by jolex calua » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:21:42

Hi,

I am having problem installing MS SQL 2000 Server in my
Windows XP Home Edition. I need to install the SQL Server
in my laptop as a Server so that I can create and connect
to the database that I am going to create. Meaning I want
to setup my laptop as a stand alone server, Is it
possible?

I would appreciate any help. Please e-mail any related
information.

Thanks.

installing ms sql 2000 server in windows XP home edition

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:04:42

You have to install the desktop, personal, or developer edition of SQL
Server.  SQL Server (the server version) only installs on SERVER based
operating systems.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi,

> I am having problem installing MS SQL 2000 Server in my
> Windows XP Home Edition. I need to install the SQL Server
> in my laptop as a Server so that I can create and connect
> to the database that I am going to create. Meaning I want
> to setup my laptop as a stand alone server, Is it
> possible?

> I would appreciate any help. Please e-mail any related
> information.

> Thanks.

1. cannot install SQL Server 2000 on Windows XP home edition

Greetings,

I am unable to install SQL Server 2000 Personal edition on my machine
running windows XP Home edition. According to the SQL Server web site,
 that is a valid configuration.

I have reinstalled MDAC just in case, even though the SQL Server setup
reinstalls it as part of the installation. I am using the default
install
with Typical settings. I have tried different combinations in the
install,
such as NT authentication vs. SQL Server authentication, but did not
have
any success. The setup always fail after the files are copied and the
install attempts to configure SQL Server with my settings. I have
included
the last lines of the sqlstp.log. I believe it has to do with the
settings
under which to run the services. I have been only able to use "local
system"
as the account for sqlsvr.exe and sqlagent.exe. For some reason any
other
account that I choose, is not recognized as an account in my domain.
remember,
I am using XP Home Edition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CD

sqlstp.log
-------------------
Starting Service ...

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

Connecting to Server ...

driver={sql server};server=HP;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified

driver={sql server};server=HP;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified

driver={sql server};server=HP;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified

SQL Server configuration failed.

23:06:27 Process Exit Code: (-1)
23:06:31 Setup failed to configure the server.   Refer to the server
error logs and C:\WINDOWS\sqlstp.log for more information.
23:06:31 Action CleanUpInstall:
23:06:31 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe  -Silent 1 -Action 4
-Service SQLSERVERAGENT
23:06:31 Process Exit Code: (1060) The specified service does not
exist as an installed service.

23:06:31 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe  -Silent 1 -Action 4
-Service MSSQLSERVER
23:06:31 Process Exit Code: (0)
23:06:31 StatsGenerate returned: 2
23:06:31 StatsGenerate
(0x80000000,0x1,0xf000000,0x0,1033,303,0x0,0x1,0,0,0
23:06:31 StatsGenerate -1,Owner)
23:06:31 Installation Failed.

2. Possible new database paradigm...Help!

3. How to install Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition on Win XP Home Edit

4. Entry form in W4GL

5. Installing SQL Server in Windows XP Home Edition

6. VB5/RDO/Oracle

7. sql server 2000 trial software on xp home edition

8. DTS/BCP import fails on SQL 2000

9. SQL Server 2000 on XP Home Edition

10. Installing MS SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2003 Web Edition RTM

11. Installing SQL Server on a XP Home Edition PC

12. Problem with install MSDE on Windows XP Home Edition

13. SQL Server 2000 and Windows XP Home