Connecting to sql2000/instance1 from sql7.0 client on winNT.

Connecting to sql2000/instance1 from sql7.0 client on winNT.

Post by padm » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 22:18:42

Hi all,

I getting following error while
connecting to SQL2000 named instance on win2000 server
from sql7.0 client on winNT or Win98.
The sql2000 server instance name is srv1\srv1 .It is
listeneing on port 1098.I have configured at the
client to TCP/IP on port 1098 .
computer name is : srv1\srv1 .
But it is giving following error..

unable to connect  \\srv1..

any one  can pls tell me how to connect to sql2000 named
instance?

Thanx ..

Padma

Connecting to sql2000/instance1 from sql7.0 client on winNT.

Post by Chris Skorlinski ( » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 06:42:14

Hi Padma,

Make sure you have at least MDAC 2.6 installed on your client computer.
You can down load it from www.microsoft.com/data

When you connect from Query Analyzer, enter servername\instancename

You can also try running the cliconfg.exe and setting up an alias to your
SQL Server.  Give the alias any name you want, then connect using the alias
name instead of the SQL Server name.

Best of Luck,

Chris Skorlinski, MCDBA
Microsoft SQL Server Support