SQL 2000 (SBS) to SQL 2000 (Proper) Migration

SQL 2000 (SBS) to SQL 2000 (Proper) Migration

Post by The man with no shoes » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 17:13:59

Can anyone help out there? Here's the scenario...

I have a Windows 2000SBS domain that is in serious need of upgrading. I have
no problems with the Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000 side of things - but SQL
is something that I have tried desparately to avoid for years!
The SQL database in question uses Windows Authentication, so is it simply a
case of backing up the files (I am lead to believe that SQL 2000 has a
backup/restore capability built in to it) on the SBS box, and restoring onto
the new server (in a new domain, with new SID's)? If not, can anyone throw
any pointers/documents/advice my way. (If not posting to newsgroup :

Many thanks in advance.

--
The man with no shoes.
MCSE+I, A+, Network+, ASE, PSE

All replies to group please.
Remember : If you turn the light on quick enough, you can see what the dark
looks like.

SQL 2000 (SBS) to SQL 2000 (Proper) Migration

Post by Jacco Schalkwij » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 17:32:57

There is a post called 'SQL Server migration' posted a few hours ago that is
very similar to your question and probably has the answers.

--
Jacco Schalkwijk MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE
Database Administrator

> Can anyone help out there? Here's the scenario...

> I have a Windows 2000SBS domain that is in serious need of upgrading. I
have
> no problems with the Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000 side of things - but
SQL
> is something that I have tried desparately to avoid for years!
> The SQL database in question uses Windows Authentication, so is it simply
> case of backing up the files (I am lead to believe that SQL 2000 has a
> backup/restore capability built in to it) on the SBS box, and restoring
onto
> the new server (in a new domain, with new SID's)? If not, can anyone throw
> any pointers/documents/advice my way. (If not posting to newsgroup :

> Many thanks in advance.

> --
> The man with no shoes.
> MCSE+I, A+, Network+, ASE, PSE

> All replies to group please.
> Remember : If you turn the light on quick enough, you can see what the
dark
> looks like.

SQL 2000 (SBS) to SQL 2000 (Proper) Migration

Post by Mandar Nai » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 17:42:50

Functionally and structurally, a SBS 2000 database is no different from a
SQL Standard or Enterprise database. Hence you can follow the same document
of moving databases between servers to solve this,

HOW TO: Move Databases Between Computers That Are Running SQL Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314546

HTH,
Mandar.

> Can anyone help out there? Here's the scenario...

> I have a Windows 2000SBS domain that is in serious need of upgrading. I
have
> no problems with the Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000 side of things - but
SQL
> is something that I have tried desparately to avoid for years!
> The SQL database in question uses Windows Authentication, so is it simply
> case of backing up the files (I am lead to believe that SQL 2000 has a
> backup/restore capability built in to it) on the SBS box, and restoring
onto
> the new server (in a new domain, with new SID's)? If not, can anyone throw
> any pointers/documents/advice my way. (If not posting to newsgroup :

> Many thanks in advance.

> --
> The man with no shoes.
> MCSE+I, A+, Network+, ASE, PSE

> All replies to group please.
> Remember : If you turn the light on quick enough, you can see what the
dark
> looks like.

SQL 2000 (SBS) to SQL 2000 (Proper) Migration

Post by The man with no shoes » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:07:24

Many thanks - so 'orphaned' accounts should be a doddle to rectify?

--
The man with no shoes.
MCSE+I, A+, Network+, ASE, PSE

All replies to group please.
Remember : If you turn the light on quick enough, you can see what the dark
looks like.

> Can anyone help out there? Here's the scenario...

> I have a Windows 2000SBS domain that is in serious need of upgrading. I
have
> no problems with the Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000 side of things - but
SQL
> is something that I have tried desparately to avoid for years!
> The SQL database in question uses Windows Authentication, so is it simply
> case of backing up the files (I am lead to believe that SQL 2000 has a
> backup/restore capability built in to it) on the SBS box, and restoring
onto
> the new server (in a new domain, with new SID's)? If not, can anyone throw
> any pointers/documents/advice my way. (If not posting to newsgroup :

> Many thanks in advance.

> --
> The man with no shoes.
> MCSE+I, A+, Network+, ASE, PSE

> All replies to group please.
> Remember : If you turn the light on quick enough, you can see what the
dark
> looks like.

SQL 2000 (SBS) to SQL 2000 (Proper) Migration

Post by Jacco Schalkwij » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:23:28

yep, with that system stored procedure that I can never remember the name
of, sp_change_users_login.

--
Jacco Schalkwijk MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE
Database Administrator
Eurostop Ltd.

> Many thanks - so 'orphaned' accounts should be a doddle to rectify?

> --
> The man with no shoes.
> MCSE+I, A+, Network+, ASE, PSE

> All replies to group please.
> Remember : If you turn the light on quick enough, you can see what the
dark
> looks like.

> > Can anyone help out there? Here's the scenario...

> > I have a Windows 2000SBS domain that is in serious need of upgrading. I
> have
> > no problems with the Exchange 2000 and Windows 2000 side of things - but
> SQL
> > is something that I have tried desparately to avoid for years!
> > The SQL database in question uses Windows Authentication, so is it
simply
> > case of backing up the files (I am lead to believe that SQL 2000 has a
> > backup/restore capability built in to it) on the SBS box, and restoring
> onto
> > the new server (in a new domain, with new SID's)? If not, can anyone
throw
> > any pointers/documents/advice my way. (If not posting to newsgroup :

> > Many thanks in advance.

> > --
> > The man with no shoes.
> > MCSE+I, A+, Network+, ASE, PSE

> > All replies to group please.
> > Remember : If you turn the light on quick enough, you can see what the
> dark
> > looks like.

> --

SQL 2000 (SBS) to SQL 2000 (Proper) Migration

Post by The man with no shoes » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 19:25:36

Excellent news - so much easier than exchange.........