Case Insensitivity

Post by t.. » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I was wondering if anyone knew how to perform a case insensitive search
using mSQL.

I've read that it would go as the following:

select * from stuff where thing like '[Ss] [Hh] [Oo] [Ee]'

But I can't seem to get that to work.

Any Help is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Todd

Case Insensitivity

Post by Joe Moyl » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi Todd,
        Each set of letters inside the bracket will only match one letter.
Therefore your search should pick shoe but not shoes.  Do you need to add a
% after the rightmost right bracket?  I tried the following search and got
the following results.

select  custid
from    heat.profile
where   custid like "[Mm]oyle%"

custid
-------------------------
MoyleJ

(1 row(s) affected)

I hope this helps.
--
Joe Moyle

Quote:> select * from stuff where thing like '[Ss] [Hh] [Oo] [Ee]'
> But I can't seem to get that to work.

1. Case insensitivity, and option?

I was at a client office reviewing some code. They use MSSQL and I
noticed that:

select * from table where field = 'blah';
gave the same results as:
select * from table where field = 'BLah';

I was shocked. (a) because I know a lot of my code could be easier to
write, and (b) that their code would break on every other database I am
aware of. Does anyone know about this?

Is it practical/desirable for PostgreSQL to have this as a configuration
setting?

2. poor performance with Oracle 9

3. Case-insensitivity detected by ODBC Driver

4. SQL Cursor problem

5. Case Insensitivity

6. HELP!!! Procedure 100 times slower than SQL

7. Forcing case insensitivity

8. Help with VB6 Binding

9. Case insensitivity, and option?

10. Case insensitivity in LIKE query - possible?

11. Help! Case Insensitivity with SELECT..WHERE..LIKE queries

12. Case insensitivity in frontend queries (2nd Posting)