DB design ques. - unlimited billing/shipping locations for e-commerce app.

DB design ques. - unlimited billing/shipping locations for e-commerce app.

Post by George William » Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:50:11

We're designing an e-commerce app. using SQL 7. We want to allow for
unlimited billing/shipping locations. There will also need to be
"levels" of users, i.e. Master Admin - administers all information,
including company info., etc. for all locations. Location admin - only
administers info. for a specific location or locations (determined by
the Master Admin). Basic - can administer only their information.

What we have penciled out so far are 4 tables: 1 "master table" to hold
information on the company, including pricing level, tax status, etc. 1
table for billing info., 1 table for shipping info., and 1 table that
contains the location IDs that the Location Admin can administer (set by
the Master Admin), along with the name of the sublocation (i.e. Company
name General Electric, sublocation could be Norwalk, or New York).

So, my question is: First, and I know it's not a lot of info. to go on,
does it sound logically laid out? Second, has anyone designed something
like this that's in production use? I know at Amazon or Barnes and
Noble, one can have multiple billing/shipping locations, but those are
tied to the user who has logged in. We want to allow a flexible method
of allowing one user to manage a large amount of locations (one of our
customers has over 200 locations to manage), yet make it as simple as
possible for the user.

Thanks.

DB design ques. - unlimited billing/shipping locations for e-commerce app.

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:42:42

George,

Just curious as to why you would want to develop a new app and use a version
of Sql Server that will soon have reduced support?  2000 offers so much
more, especially if this is a new app.

--

Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> We're designing an e-commerce app. using SQL 7. We want to allow for
> unlimited billing/shipping locations. There will also need to be
> "levels" of users, i.e. Master Admin - administers all information,
> including company info., etc. for all locations. Location admin - only
> administers info. for a specific location or locations (determined by
> the Master Admin). Basic - can administer only their information.

> What we have penciled out so far are 4 tables: 1 "master table" to hold
> information on the company, including pricing level, tax status, etc. 1
> table for billing info., 1 table for shipping info., and 1 table that
> contains the location IDs that the Location Admin can administer (set by
> the Master Admin), along with the name of the sublocation (i.e. Company
> name General Electric, sublocation could be Norwalk, or New York).

> So, my question is: First, and I know it's not a lot of info. to go on,
> does it sound logically laid out? Second, has anyone designed something
> like this that's in production use? I know at Amazon or Barnes and
> Noble, one can have multiple billing/shipping locations, but those are
> tied to the user who has logged in. We want to allow a flexible method
> of allowing one user to manage a large amount of locations (one of our
> customers has over 200 locations to manage), yet make it as simple as
> possible for the user.

> Thanks.

DB design ques. - unlimited billing/shipping locations for e-commerce app.

Post by George William » Thu, 20 Nov 2003 02:09:57

Andrew:

Good question. We're waiting for budget approval to upgrade our
hardware, OS to Server 2003 and DB to 2003. But for now, it's NT and SQL
7. Gotta' go with what ya' got!

DB design ques. - unlimited billing/shipping locations for e-commerce app.

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 20 Nov 2003 05:44:11

If your sure you will get it there is no reason to wait to develop against
2000.  If you have MSDN (which you should if your a serious development
effort) it's a no brainer.  You can also get the Developer edition of 2000
for under $40.00 now.

--

Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Andrew:

> Good question. We're waiting for budget approval to upgrade our
> hardware, OS to Server 2003 and DB to 2003. But for now, it's NT and SQL
> 7. Gotta' go with what ya' got!

DB design ques. - unlimited billing/shipping locations for e-commerce app.

Post by George William » Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:13:38

Andrew:

We have SQL 2000, so will develop with it in mind, but the application
will definitely be on a SQL 7 db server for a few months.

As far as the db structure question, does it sound like we're moving in
the right direction? Again, we want to offer unlimited billing and
shipping options to our customers, whil allowing 1 person to administer
all users/locations, no matter how many there are.

Thanks

DB design ques. - unlimited billing/shipping locations for e-commerce app.

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:00:30

There isn't a lot of details but it sounds OK as you have it laid out.
Sorry but I don't know of any links etc on that specific topic.

--

Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Andrew:

> We have SQL 2000, so will develop with it in mind, but the application
> will definitely be on a SQL 7 db server for a few months.

> As far as the db structure question, does it sound like we're moving in
> the right direction? Again, we want to offer unlimited billing and
> shipping options to our customers, whil allowing 1 person to administer
> all users/locations, no matter how many there are.

> Thanks

1. SW Dev/entrprse apps/ecommerce/BayArea startup

            Software Development Engineer/ Enterprise Integration

My client is a very hot Silicon Valley enterprise applications vendor.  Red
Herring magazine has rated them as one of "The Top 50 Private Technology
Companies" (Sept. '98).  Well-managed, well-funded and shipping product for
the last 4 quarters, this two- year old provider of web-based solutions is
in the process of expanding their development team.  Currently they are
seeking motivated professionals with the following experience:
* 3+ years of software development (5-7 preferred).
* Expertise in Java or C++ (absolutely required).
* Strong understanding of RDBMS.
* Experience integrating applications with e-commerce or ERP software.
* Ability to work in a team environment.

Reply to above address or FAX to RMG at 408-356-3207

2. SQL Server and VB 4.0 Enterprise

3. JOB: US - New York,New York -- eCommerce App Developer

4. Windows 95 --> SQL Server on another machine

5. Web Design & Ecommerce

6. Adodc1.Recordset.Update Error

7. porting Local DB app to internet DB app?

8. Is "is null" sargable?

9. Need help with a db app design

10. DALLAS -- Database Analyst/Analyst Programmer DB/Web app Dev, design/implement Datawarehouse