Benchmark testing SQL Server Cluster

Post by Shau » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 05:17:53

I have built up a new SQL7 Cluster, two Compaq 8500 with four processors
each, 2GB memory per server. Our developers have been writing applications
to run against the SQL server and like most new software it is running a bit
slow and the developers would like to lay the blame on the SQL7 cluster
server. Could anyone help in suggesting an application to benchmark the
server i.e. something that will give me a number to compare it against?

Benchmark testing SQL Server Cluster

Post by David Ga » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:23:02

You can use something from quest software:
http://www.quest.com/benchmark_factory/
However your developer may say that doesn't apply to your case. The best thing is to use apple to compare apple. Use your new software to run on your old hardware and new one and see what happens. If it is on the same hardware, just new one with cluster, then need to check deeper. SQL cluster will not give you and performance boost nor performance drag, it should be same as a standalone server on the same hardware.

David Gao, MCSE, MCDBA

1. Benchmark testing SQL Server Cluster

 have built up a new SQL7 Cluster, two Compaq 8500 with four processors
each, 2GB memory per server. Our developers have been writing applications
to run against the SQL server and like most new software it is running a bit
slow and the developers would like to lay the blame on the SQL7 cluster
server. Could anyone help in suggesting an application to benchmark the
server i.e. something that will give me a number to compare it against?

2. adding fields to existing database

3. How to Test Failover on SQL Server 2000 clustering effectively (test scripts ple

4. Transaction log

5. BENCHMARK & PERFORMANCE Testing for SQL Server

6. Key Violation

7. To: Aykut Yilmaz (Re: Benchmarks of Sybase, Benchmark test results of oracle)

8. Count.

9. TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST

10. After the SQL cluster upgrade to cluster, the SQL server cannot be accessed

11. SQL Server 7.0 Cluster ressources don′t showup in Cluster Administration

12. pgsql-server/src/test/regress expected/cluster ...

13. SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server Agent 7.0 cluster ressources don′t showup