Configuring xp_sendmail

Post by Winhors » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi Gurus,

May I know how to configure my store procedure in SQL Server to send e-
mail ? I tried to click on the property and can't find any parameter or
codings that I can refer.

Could you please shed some lights on me ?

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Configuring xp_sendmail

Post by Winhors » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Sorry ...

To add on, I tried this in SQL Query Analyser in the following syntax.

        exec master.dbo.xp_sendmail

I didn't receive any e-mail in my account.

Please advise on what I should configure other than calling this
procedure.

Thanks again.

Quote:> Hi Gurus,

--
Visit http://winhorse.hypermart.net for more horse racing tips !

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Configuring xp_sendmail

Post by Winhors » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi Gurus,

May I know how to configure my store procedure in SQL Server to send
e-mail ? I tried to click on the property and can't find any parameter
or codings that I can refer.

To add on, I tried this in SQL Query Analyser in the following syntax.

        exec master.dbo.xp_sendmail

I didn't receive any e-mail in my account.

Please advise on what I should configure other than calling this
procedure.

Could you please shed some lights on me ?

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Configuring xp_sendmail

Post by Charles » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

A couple of thoughts:
(1) Do you have a mail client configured on the server? In other words, can
you log on to the SQL server machine and send mail from there?
If you can't, that's the place to start.

(2) Did you get any error messages from xp_sendmail?

--Charles

> Hi Gurus,

> May I know how to configure my store procedure in SQL Server to send
> e-mail ? I tried to click on the property and can't find any parameter
> or codings that I can refer.

> To add on, I tried this in SQL Query Analyser in the following syntax.

> exec master.dbo.xp_sendmail

> I didn't receive any e-mail in my account.

> Please advise on what I should configure other than calling this
> procedure.

> Could you please shed some lights on me ?

> Thanks in advance.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Configuring xp_sendmail

Post by Jaime McGeath » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You need to set up a mail profile for the SQL server service account. You
can find information on how to do this by looking up SQL Mail in the Books
Online.  You then need to start the mail services and make sure SQL can
start and stop the mail service.  There are a couple bugs you should be
aware of:
1. Use the Client Network Utility to make sure the default network library
is set to Named Pipes.  If not you will get an unable to log on to SQL
server error when you use xp_sendmail.
2. If you want to use sp_processmail to have SQL process incoming email
queries, you have to manually edit the sp_processmail procedure.  The

need to change those to varchar(128).

Good luck,
jaime

> A couple of thoughts:
> (1) Do you have a mail client configured on the server? In other words,
can
> you log on to the SQL server machine and send mail from there?
> If you can't, that's the place to start.

> (2) Did you get any error messages from xp_sendmail?

> --Charles

> > Hi Gurus,

> > May I know how to configure my store procedure in SQL Server to send
> > e-mail ? I tried to click on the property and can't find any parameter
> > or codings that I can refer.

> > To add on, I tried this in SQL Query Analyser in the following syntax.

> > exec master.dbo.xp_sendmail

> > I didn't receive any e-mail in my account.

> > Please advise on what I should configure other than calling this
> > procedure.

> > Could you please shed some lights on me ?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Configuring xp_sendmail

Post by xus000.. » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Winhorse --

Have you configured an Outlook profile for SQL Server to use?  Or will it
be using your profile?  Use Control Panel / Mail to build a profile named
"SQLServer".  You can test it by entering "outlook /profiles" at a
command prompt, choosing your new profile name, and sending yourself a
message.  If that works, SQL Mail should work.

In SQL Enterprise Manager, right-click on the mail icon and enter the
name of the profile there.  (You'll probably want to tell SQL Executive
to automatically start SQL Mail and enter the profile name there, as
well.)

Then...
        exec master..xp_startmail 'SQLServer'
should respond with
        The command(s) completed successfully.

Followed by

should respond with
        Mail sent.

> May I know how to configure my store procedure in SQL Server to send
> e-mail ? I tried to click on the property and can't find any parameter
> or codings that I can refer.

> To add on, I tried this in SQL Query Analyser in the following syntax.

>    exec master.dbo.xp_sendmail

> I didn't receive any e-mail in my account.

> Please advise on what I should configure other than calling this
> procedure.
> Could you please shed some lights on me ?

--
Paul Beda
There is no x in my address...

Configuring xp_sendmail

Post by Winhors » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi ,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried to start SQL Mail and I got

Error 22030: A MAPI error (error number 273 occurred. MapiLogonEx
Failed due to MAPI error 273: MAPI Logon failed

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Configuring xp_sendmail

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Log into the SQL Server machine using the same NT account as the MSSQLServer
service is using. Create the mail profile using that account. You cannot use
LocalSystem.

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi ,

> Thanks for your suggestion. I tried to start SQL Mail and I got

> Error 22030: A MAPI error (error number 273 occurred. MapiLogonEx
> Failed due to MAPI error 273: MAPI Logon failed

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Configuring SQL Server not to use xp_sendmail

I know this is a long shot but here goes. I have found an
extended procedure (3rd party) that allows you to sendmail
without having a MAPI profile or any mail client on your
machine. However i would like to configure SQL Server as
well to use this xp for alerting by default when
exceptions occur on the server. Is there a way to do this?

2. Increase Traffic...Post Free Links

3. pgsql-server/. configure.in configure

4. "service name is not valid": problems to create a new DB on NT

5. pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in onfig/c ...

6. Replication and direct calls to DAO with VC 5

7. pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in rc/port ...

8. List of values for a parameter

9. pgsql-server/. configure configure.in

10. pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in ontrib/ ...

11. pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in rc/Make ...

12. pgsql-server/ /configure /configure.in rc/incl ...

13. pgsql-server/. configure.in configure