NT Server Maximum Number of Users

Post by robbyreye » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Can a two-tier (traditional client server architecture) setup on an NT
server support 300 users?

NT Server Maximum Number of Users

Post by Mike » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Can a two-tier (traditional client server architecture) setup on an NT
> server support 300 users?

That's a little like asking can 5 people fit comfortably in a sub compact
car.  It depends on how big the people are, and what their idea of comfort
is.

There are no physical limitations on NT.  I will assume you are questioning
can SQL Server 7.0 or 2000 handle this rather than NT in general.  It's
really going to depend on the application.  A poorly written application can
bog down a SQL Server with only 5 users.  A great application will be able
to support as many as the hardware will allow.

Keep in mind that if you truly are going to have 300 users on a line of
business application you are looking at some serious hardware including
clustering and fail over support.

NT Server Maximum Number of Users

Post by robbyreye » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Mike H. The application was developed with PowerBuilder 6.5. It is
transaction heavy and consumes lots of hard disk space. Is this something you
can use to help me determine if I can just use one NT server?

> > Can a two-tier (traditional client server architecture) setup on an NT
> > server support 300 users?

> That's a little like asking can 5 people fit comfortably in a sub compact
> car.  It depends on how big the people are, and what their idea of comfort
> is.

> There are no physical limitations on NT.  I will assume you are questioning
> can SQL Server 7.0 or 2000 handle this rather than NT in general.  It's
> really going to depend on the application.  A poorly written application can
> bog down a SQL Server with only 5 users.  A great application will be able
> to support as many as the hardware will allow.

> Keep in mind that if you truly are going to have 300 users on a line of
> business application you are looking at some serious hardware including
> clustering and fail over support.

NT Server Maximum Number of Users

Post by Mike » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Yikes... I have yet to see a PowerBuilder App that is what I even consider a
good Client/Server app.  They are mostly network and client heavy and tend
to use the SQL server purely has a storehouse for data.  Unless the
developer is better than the average PB developer, very few stored
procedures will be found which means the server's job will be primarily
serving lots of queries at the same time moving lots of data.

You should probably contact the var for the app, or if built in house, the
rep for powerbuilder.

What is it running on now?
I can't provide any specifics but I can't imagine such an app running on
anything less than a 4 or 8 processor machine.  But with 300 semi-concurrent
users you could easily become I/O bound on one box.  I'm not sure what is
driving your questions, but if this is a critical application for your
company, I would highly recommend you get someone knowledgeable in SQL
Server to help you find out what your hardware/software needs will be.  The
first place to check may be Microsoft.  There will be a regional zone office
that is responsible for your area and a call to them should be able to put
you in touch with someone who can sit down with you and help you plan things
out.
http://www.microsoft.com/usa/ seems to be a good place to start as well.

> Thanks Mike H. The application was developed with PowerBuilder 6.5. It is
> transaction heavy and consumes lots of hard disk space. Is this something
you
> can use to help me determine if I can just use one NT server?

> > > Can a two-tier (traditional client server architecture) setup on an NT
> > > server support 300 users?

> > That's a little like asking can 5 people fit comfortably in a sub
compact
> > car.  It depends on how big the people are, and what their idea of
comfort
> > is.

NT Server Maximum Number of Users

Post by Hal Berenso » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Note that we test with 10,000+ users in a two-tier configuration to make
sure the clients can log in and do useful work.  But that doesn't tell you
anything about the number of users a particular server will support running
your application.  I know cases where with one application a server supports
a few thousand users, while with another application similar hardware can
only support a few hundred.  So its not the number of users that matters,
it's total work that needs to be done.

--
Hal Berenson, General Manager
Microsoft SQL Server

Quote:> Can a two-tier (traditional client server architecture) setup on an NT
> server support 300 users?

NT Server Maximum Number of Users

Post by robbyreye » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:12:23

My application connects users from different customer contact points like
business centers, call center, a central group, and other groups in the company
together. Business centers and the people who answer the phones in call center
forward customer requests and complaints using this system to the central group.
The central group processes these concerns and coordinates with the other groups
in the company to resolve the concerns.

It is transaction heavy because they create and create requests and complaints
that people make. This is a telecommunications firm we are talking about.

Once created, the resolution units act on the concerns and change the status of
the concerns from new to resolved.

So how will I measure /gauge what server I will need? So you're saying I can
just use one server for this type of system?

> Note that we test with 10,000+ users in a two-tier configuration to make
> sure the clients can log in and do useful work.  But that doesn't tell you
> anything about the number of users a particular server will support running
> your application.  I know cases where with one application a server supports
> a few thousand users, while with another application similar hardware can
> only support a few hundred.  So its not the number of users that matters,
> it's total work that needs to be done.

> --
> Hal Berenson, General Manager
> Microsoft SQL Server

> > Can a two-tier (traditional client server architecture) setup on an NT
> > server support 300 users?

1. Maximum number of users on NT

Hi,

I'm interested in anyone who has a large number of users running on NT
whether using D3,Universe, or the like.

We have some sites running Universe on NT but are not particularly high user
sites (maximum is around 64). However we have one site that is an ALL NT
site (and will only consider an NT system), that wishes us to put in an NT
server running about 120 plus users and I am concerned about NT ability to
handle this number of concurrent users.

Any user storys would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn Lowth

2. test

3. maximum number of user into simultaneous on SQL SERVER 2000

4. Stand Alone SQL Server possible ???

5. What is the maximum number of user connections supported by SQL Server

6. Move a single data file

7. Maximum number of user connections to SQL Server

8. Win2k With Paradox 9 on Novell Server

9. Maximum Number of Users

10. A query to get the user table which has maximum number of records

11. Maximum concurrent user connection ?= Number of license

12. Help! with maximum number of configured user connections

13. Maximum number of configured user connections exceeded