Newbie: Active Directory Users and Computers

Newbie: Active Directory Users and Computers

Post by Geno Hinto » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:37:55

I am teaching myself Windows 2000 SQL Server. I'm in a section where I'm learning about security. The book is asking me to go to Active Directory Users and Computers, but I cannot find such a thing. I'm using WIN2K Professional o/s and Windows 2000 SQL Server evaluation version from Microsoft. Is the Active Directory Users and Computers an add-on? If not, can someone help me find it?

Newbie: Active Directory Users and Computers

Post by Mike Gunderlo » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 06:29:32

Quote:> I am teaching myself Windows 2000 SQL Server. I'm in a section=
>  where I'm learning about security. The book is asking me to go=
>  to Active Directory Users and Computers, but I cannot find such=
>  a thing. I'm using WIN2K Professional o/s and Windows 2000 SQL=
>  Server evaluation version from Microsoft. Is the Active=
>  Directory Users and Computers an add-on? If not, can someone=
>  help me find it?

Sounds like you're working on a standalone Win2K Pro box. If the goal is
to create users and groups, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools,
Computer Management, Local Users and Groups.

Mike Gunderloy
Lark Group, Inc.

Newbie: Active Directory Users and Computers

Post by Geno Hinto » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:31:47

Thanks very much.

1. Finding all computers in a specific Active Directory OU

I am using VB6 to retrieve a list of all PCs in a specific AD OU. I have
tried several methods shown in the MSDN library, but they are all a little
on the slow side. My domain has about 60000 computer objects. In one OU with
about 4700 computers, the query takes about 1 min. 30 sec. On another with
38000 computers, it takes about 20 minutes just to run the query.

What is the fastest method to query AD to get a list of computers in a
specific OU? Or are these times just what I have to deal with?

Thanks

2. Linux Beta License String

3. Active Directory and NT40 users can be used together for logins on SQL Server 20

4. VB and Netscape

5. Importing Users From Active Directory into SQL Server Database

6. Clipper s87 - Need BIG cu

7. Importing active directory of users to sql server

8. Ingres DBA - Permanent position - Seattle WA

9. getting user names/information from active directory (LDAP)

10. Linking Active Directory users to data in db

11. Active Directory user into a table

12. Active Directory new user export

13. Replication SQL Server (user info) to Active Directory