Getting SQL Server client/ODBC driver for XP Home Edition

Getting SQL Server client/ODBC driver for XP Home Edition

Post by JJ » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 06:56:19

I have an end user who has some new PC's with XP Home Edition and they want
them to connect to a database server running MS SQL Server.  The app to be
used needs to connect through ODBC.

But if you go into the ODBC Data Sources on those systems, and go to the
Drivers tab, there are no ODBC drivers for any database.

So how can I get the SQL Server driver for XP Home Edition?

I had them download MDAC 2.7 from www.microsoft.com/data and they installed
it, but still no ODBC driver for SQL Server appears.

I also had them delete the "ExceptionComponents" registry entry as suggested
by a few other newsgroup posts I read, and re-install MDAC 2.7, but still no
SQL Server driver.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Getting SQL Server client/ODBC driver for XP Home Edition

Post by JJ » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:10:08

Actually, the server is not running MS SQL Server as I previously said - it
is running MSDE.  So I can't load the SQL Server client from a CD for
example - I need to download it somehow.

> I have an end user who has some new PC's with XP Home Edition and they
want
> them to connect to a database server running MS SQL Server.  The app to be
> used needs to connect through ODBC.

> But if you go into the ODBC Data Sources on those systems, and go to the
> Drivers tab, there are no ODBC drivers for any database.

> So how can I get the SQL Server driver for XP Home Edition?

> I had them download MDAC 2.7 from www.microsoft.com/data and they
installed
> it, but still no ODBC driver for SQL Server appears.

> I also had them delete the "ExceptionComponents" registry entry as
suggested
> by a few other newsgroup posts I read, and re-install MDAC 2.7, but still
no
> SQL Server driver.

> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

1. cannot install SQL Server 2000 on Windows XP home edition

Greetings,

I am unable to install SQL Server 2000 Personal edition on my machine
running windows XP Home edition. According to the SQL Server web site,
 that is a valid configuration.

I have reinstalled MDAC just in case, even though the SQL Server setup
reinstalls it as part of the installation. I am using the default
install
with Typical settings. I have tried different combinations in the
install,
such as NT authentication vs. SQL Server authentication, but did not
have
any success. The setup always fail after the files are copied and the
install attempts to configure SQL Server with my settings. I have
included
the last lines of the sqlstp.log. I believe it has to do with the
settings
under which to run the services. I have been only able to use "local
system"
as the account for sqlsvr.exe and sqlagent.exe. For some reason any
other
account that I choose, is not recognized as an account in my domain.
remember,
I am using XP Home Edition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CD

sqlstp.log
-------------------
Starting Service ...

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

Connecting to Server ...

driver={sql server};server=HP;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified

driver={sql server};server=HP;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified

driver={sql server};server=HP;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified

SQL Server configuration failed.

23:06:27 Process Exit Code: (-1)
23:06:31 Setup failed to configure the server.   Refer to the server
error logs and C:\WINDOWS\sqlstp.log for more information.
23:06:31 Action CleanUpInstall:
23:06:31 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe  -Silent 1 -Action 4
-Service SQLSERVERAGENT
23:06:31 Process Exit Code: (1060) The specified service does not
exist as an installed service.

23:06:31 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe  -Silent 1 -Action 4
-Service MSSQLSERVER
23:06:31 Process Exit Code: (0)
23:06:31 StatsGenerate returned: 2
23:06:31 StatsGenerate
(0x80000000,0x1,0xf000000,0x0,1033,303,0x0,0x1,0,0,0
23:06:31 StatsGenerate -1,Owner)
23:06:31 Installation Failed.

2. Problems with SP3

3. Installing SQL Server on a XP Home Edition PC

4. identity column (backup/restore)

5. installing ms sql 2000 server in windows XP home edition

6. Pdoxwin 4.5 and Win95

7. How to install Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition on Win XP Home Edit

8. (PDXJOBS) Database Administrator RBA126

9. sql server 2000 trial software on xp home edition

10. Installing SQL Server in Windows XP Home Edition

11. SQL Server 2000 on XP Home Edition

12. Need Internet Information Server (IIS) for my Windows XP Home Edition PC

13. Install Personal SQL 7 on Windowx XP home edition