Bad performance - HELP!!!

Post by Mariann » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:00:24

Hi

We have an on-going problem with a production sql server
(v 7.0 sp4).  It is the back-end database for a web site
and has connections from a middle-tier application server
(this connects using ADO).  All runs fine and then
periodically it starts to run very slowly.  There are
inserts into a transaction table which records session
information which start to run slowly, but also selects
from completely different tables run slowly too.  I have
looked at all the suggested performance counters which are
and cannot see problems.  This usual;ly happens when there
are approx 150 threads in use (but not always).  Any ideas?

Thanks

MArianne

Bad performance - HELP!!!

Post by Anith Se » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:21:00

How did you identify the database is the culprit? Do you
have slow running queries? If this is a problem with a
particular table, try playing with its indexes and see.
Also have you tried the Index Tuning Wizard? It is hard to
provide generalized suggestions without identifying what
is causing the bottleneck. You may start out with using the
profiler, identify the badly performing Queries and try to
tune them. You may also try a DBCC INDEXDEFRAG in the 'victim'
table if there are bulks inserts which can throw around the
statistical distributions. Also check out
http://www.sql-server-performance.com for some hints.

--
- Anith

1. SQL Server Performance Problem - Good query performance, bad update performance

We've run into a situation with a client who has just moved to the SQL
Server version of our application in which query performance is acceptable,
but updates are at least an order of magnitude too slow. Any thoughts on
what I might check for update-related performance problems? Their machine is
a dual-CPU 600MHZ monster, and my old 200MHZ single CPU Pentium Pro NT
machine is running circles around theirs. I can do 10 transactions in 10
seconds here, while theirs takes over 2 minutes to do a similar transaction
set.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Randy

2. process activity

3. Bad SQL 7 performance!!! HELP

4. Unicode Problem

5. Help! Bad performance

6. Help with pq++

7. HELP With join - bad performance

8. client hungs until another client tries to access

9. Bad Merge Filtering Performance, Any Help?

10. Help: ADO Shape Bad Performance

11. HELP: performance is bad.

12. RDO bad, bad, bad

13. Oracle 7.3 and Forms 3.0 -- BAD, BAD, BAD!!!