How to alter User Defined Data Type

Post by Sundareswa » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:44:23

Hello,

I want to alter the width/type of a User Defined Data
Type. I searched for the same. Everybody suggests to drop
the type and recreate the same. Since its in the
Production and lot of dependent objects are there. It will
be very difficult to alter each and every object.

Is there any way to do the same in SQL 7 or SQL 2000. Or
is there any hidden extended procedures for the same.

Your suggestions and solutions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards

Sundar

How to alter User Defined Data Type

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 18:12:12

Sundarewsar, you have to do it the hard way, unfortunately. Check out the
FAQ entry at my website:
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/administration_faq.htm#q12

Do you have any primary key/foreign key constraints defined on the columns
that use this user defined data type? If not, please let me know, I have a
very handy script, that helps you automate this whole process of altering
user defined data types.
--
HTH,
Vyas,

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

Quote:> Hello,

> I want to alter the width/type of a User Defined Data
> Type. I searched for the same. Everybody suggests to drop
> the type and recreate the same. Since its in the
> Production and lot of dependent objects are there. It will
> be very difficult to alter each and every object.

> Is there any way to do the same in SQL 7 or SQL 2000. Or
> is there any hidden extended procedures for the same.

> Your suggestions and solutions are highly appreciated.

> Thanks in Advance!

> Regards

> Sundar

How to alter User Defined Data Type

Post by Sundareswa » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 18:35:22

Vyas,

Thanks!. Just only i visited your website. Its very Good
one. (I visited many times!).

I dont defined any PK/FK constraints on the columns
defined by UDT. It will be very helpful, if you send me
the script.

Thanks.

Sundar

How to alter User Defined Data Type

Post by Sundareswa » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:34:23

Vyas,

Thanks. The scripts is fine.Good Work!!.  But it is not
checking Nullablity property. Even if the column is not
null, its changing to null.

Thanking you, Again

Sundar

How to alter User Defined Data Type

Post by sundareswa » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:30:36

Vyas,

Excellent!.

Its now handling null also.

Thanks & Regards

Sundar

1. How to alter User Defined Data Types

Hello,

I want to alter the width/type of a User Defined Data
Type. I searched for the same. Everybody suggests to drop
the type and recreate the same. Since its in the
Production and lot of dependent objects are there. It will
be very difficult to alter each and every object.

Is there any way to do the same in SQL 7 or SQL 2000. Or
is there any hidden extended procedures for the same.

Your suggestions and solutions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards

Sundar

2. Attaching a MDF-file without the LOG-file

3. Alter user defined data types

4. UK: Visual Basic & SQL Server jobs

5. Compile error: User-defined data type not defined!

6. Looking for a software to obtain the ".prg" from a ".exe" which compiled with foxpro

7. User-defined data type not defined

8. Help! SetNull gives strange result!

9. alter a user defined type

10. Table type with user defined data type.

11. Change the data type of a user defined type

12. DAO in VB5 yields User-defined type not defined

13. How to define a user-defined type in ACCESS