Apply structural changes from server to server

Apply structural changes from server to server

Post by YA » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:02:41

I have 2 SQL Servers: production server and developing server.
I have made changes in the structure of some tables in developing server.
I know exactly which changes I made but I don't want to apply them manually
in order to reduce mistakes.
I would like to apply those changes in the production server.
Is it possible to apply those changes using a script ?
Is there a way to create this script automatically ?
A no cost solution is better.

Thanks for your time

Apply structural changes from server to server

Post by John Bel » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:04:23

Hi

It is usually best to maintain the scripts for your database objects in a
version control system, this will make the process of updating/creating
objects in both development, test and live systems alot easier to do. It
will also mean that you can easily re-create a historical configuration
without having to do any additional work.

These may help.
http://www.red-gate.com/
http://www.automatedofficesystems.com/products/dbcompare/

John

Post by Erland Sommarsko » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:41:43

> I have 2 SQL Servers: production server and developing server.
> I have made changes in the structure of some tables in developing server.
> I know exactly which changes I made but I don't want to apply them
> manually in order to reduce mistakes. I would like to apply those
> changes in the production server. Is it possible to apply those changes
> using a script ? Is there a way to create this script automatically ?
> A no cost solution is better.

For a no-cost solution, see http://www.abaris.se/abaperls/. But I should
warn you that this is only a no-cost solution in that the software is
free. There is probably a bit of learning curve.

What it is all about, is the tools that we use in our shop. Our baseline
is not a development servers. We have an uncountable number of development
servers, so that is out the question. Rather our baseline is the version-
control system, which in our case is Visual SourceSafe.

The toolset includes a tool that generates an update script in Perl, of
all changed files between two labels. For a table, you get a template
script to move the data from the old incarnation to the new incarnation.

--

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at

1. Apply changes from devcelopment server to production server

I have 2 SQL Servers:  production server and development server.
I have made severals changes in the development server and I want to apply
them on the production server.
How do I do that ?
I know that I can use SQLCompare from http://www.red-gate.com.
Is there a freeware solution ?

Thanks for your time.

2. Newby Query Question

3. Apply changes from developing Server to production Server

4. Delphi 2.0 & SQL Server 6.5

5. apply table changes to diff application on a different server

6. Capture a logon in 7.3.4 ?

7. Further inquiry: Question:structural vs non-structural index

8. Open Arch Ver 2.0 program files

9. Question:structural vs non-structural index?

10. Replication of structural changes

11. Structural changes replication ?