Scripting of Table and column descriptions

Scripting of Table and column descriptions

Post by Martin Aldridg » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:18:01

Hi

On SQL 2000 enterprise manager within the design table screen, you have the
capability to add descriptions to columns and tables.

This feature has been of considerable help in supplying meta data to other people
who use the database.

The only problem is that I cannot find a way to add/change/delete/view these
comments from a script.

I hope somebody can help.

Many Thanks

Martin Aldridge
Database developer/administrator
Acequote.com Ltd

Scripting of Table and column descriptions

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:59:40

Martin,

Take a look at sp_updateextendedproperty and its related sp's.

--
Andrew J. Kelly
Targitmail.com

Hi

On SQL 2000 enterprise manager within the design table screen, you have the
capability to add descriptions to columns and tables.

This feature has been of considerable help in supplying meta data to other
people
who use the database.

The only problem is that I cannot find a way to add/change/delete/view these
comments from a script.

I hope somebody can help.

Many Thanks

Martin Aldridge
Database developer/administrator
Acequote.com Ltd

Scripting of Table and column descriptions

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:53:55

Martin,

Search Books Online for "extended properties".

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com