can't connect to SQL server 2000 from the internet

can't connect to SQL server 2000 from the internet

Post by Osca » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:48:58

My small VB/SQL2000 application performs good when using it on the internet
server where the SQL server DB is located. In case I try to connect to the
DB from another PC via the Internet it reports

login failed for user '(null)' : not associated with a trusted SQL server
connection.

The SQL server has been configured for Windows authentication. Do I need to
change this to SQL server authentication ?
In case I should use SQL server authentication mode, which necessary steps
should I implement to have the connection working ?

Oscar

can't connect to SQL server 2000 from the internet

Post by Jacco Schalkwij » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:50:37

Hi Oscar,

I think that you are trying to login to SQL Server with a windows account
that doesn't have a corresponding login in SQL Server. This is probably not
possible to set up because there is no trust relation between the domain the
Database server is in and the domain your PC on the internet is in. You
either have to use SQL Server authentication, or set up Terminal Server on
the database server if you want to be a bit more secure.

Jacco

Quote:> My small VB/SQL2000 application performs good when using it on the
internet
> server where the SQL server DB is located. In case I try to connect to the
> DB from another PC via the Internet it reports

> login failed for user '(null)' : not associated with a trusted SQL server
> connection.

> The SQL server has been configured for Windows authentication. Do I need
> change this to SQL server authentication ?
> In case I should use SQL server authentication mode, which necessary steps
> should I implement to have the connection working ?

> Oscar

can't connect to SQL server 2000 from the internet

Post by Osca » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 06:51:03

Hi Jacco,
I've tried the connection after reconfiguration SQL server to the option
both Windows authentication and SQL Server authentication instead of
Windows authentication only and loggged in via the sa account. The error is
still displayed. I guess there is something else that I need to configure,
but what ?

Oscar

> Hi Oscar,

> I think that you are trying to login to SQL Server with a windows account
> that doesn't have a corresponding login in SQL Server. This is probably
not
> possible to set up because there is no trust relation between the domain
the
> Database server is in and the domain your PC on the internet is in. You
> either have to use SQL Server authentication, or set up Terminal Server on
> the database server if you want to be a bit more secure.

> Jacco

> > My small VB/SQL2000 application performs good when using it on the
> internet
> > server where the SQL server DB is located. In case I try to connect to
the
> > DB from another PC via the Internet it reports

> > login failed for user '(null)' : not associated with a trusted SQL
server
> > connection.

> > The SQL server has been configured for Windows authentication. Do I need
> > change this to SQL server authentication ?
> > In case I should use SQL server authentication mode, which necessary
steps
> > should I implement to have the connection working ?

> > Oscar

can't connect to SQL server 2000 from the internet

Post by Osca » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 07:14:06

Hi Jacco,
I've found the error. I had to remove the assign. DB.Properties("Integrated
Security").Value = "SSPI" in order to log in SQL Server Authentication mode.
Problem solved, thanks for your help.

Oscar