Maximum number of configured user connections exceeded

Maximum number of configured user connections exceeded

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

At startup, SQL Server allocates a structure for incoming connections.
One application might require several connections (depending of how it is
written).

By default, user connections is set to 15. You have ro reconfigure it to a
higher value. Search in Books Online for "User Connections".
--

MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
Cornerstone Sweden AB

Maximum number of configured user connections exceeded

Post by Lim Boon Su » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm using :
1.  SQL Server 6.5 with "10 user system"
2.  Windows NT 4.0 (Servicd Pack 3)
3.  VB 5
4.  Ethernet LAN
5.  Compaq Server and workstation
Intermitently, I encounters the following message :
"Unable to connect. The maximum number of  '15' configured user connections
are already connected.
  System Administrator can configure to a higher value with sp_configure"
Can anyone explain what is that means ?
Thank you.

1. Help! with maximum number of configured user connections

Please can someone help me.

I was working with a database (SQLServer v6.5 on NT 4.0) tonight via a
RAS connection.  I was adding fields to a table and trying to populate
the field (using the Enterprise Manager with SA rights) when my dial-up
connection was dropped.  It happened in the middle of a large update
command.  I reconnected and found that the update had not been commited
so I tried again.  I got disconnected again.  This happened several more
times until finally I was unable to establish a connection to the
database server because it says all the user connections are taken.

It's off-hours.  I'm the only one trying to use the database.  So I'm
assuming that my repeated attempts to do this update have created a set
of processes that the server still thinks are active.  Does this sound
like a good theory?

The problem is that I'm unable to reconnect to the server and kill the
processes.

Will the server kill them automatically after a certain period of time?
Do I have to shut down the server and bring it back up to clear things?
What should I do?  I have to have the server back up by 8am PST.  How
hosed am I?

Thanks in advance for any help.
--

 - J. Piscioneri
   new mode Communications

2. Need new VBSQL.BAS, Have SQL 6.5 Server

3. Maximum number of connections exceeded

4. Stored Procedure Parameters

5. 6.5 Reporting Maximum user connection exceeded, but Perfmon disagrees

6. anyone using INGRES on ODT1.1 ?

7. The maximum number of user connections are already connected

8. Maximum number of user connections to SQL Server

9. Maximum concurrent user connection ?= Number of license

10. What is the maximum number of user connections supported by SQL Server

11. Error max number configured user connections