URGENT - system crash - lost master.dat

Post by Eric Buchana » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

We are running SQL 6.5.  Our primary drive crashed last night.  We
discovered after restoring the backup that we have all of the database files
but not the master.dat.  Anyone know how to rebuild this file?  HELP!

Thanks

Eric Buchanan
Technical Support Engineer
Paws Incorporated

URGENT - system crash - lost master.dat

Post by Christoph Muthman » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi Eric,
you can rebuild the master database using the setup-programm. But you have
lost all the information stored in the master database, e. g. about devices
and databases.

Here are some additional information from Neil Pike's FAQ

Q. How can I recover a SQL Server database when all I have left is the .DAT
device?

A. For SQL 6.5 and below use the DISK REINIT and REFIT commands. These are
documented in the Books-Online.

For SQL 7.0 use the sp_attach_db sp - also documented in the books online.

For SQL FAQ entries see

or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Have a nice day,
Christoph

Eric Buchanan schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:>We are running SQL 6.5.  Our primary drive crashed last night.  We
>discovered after restoring the backup that we have all of the database
files
>but not the master.dat.  Anyone know how to rebuild this file?  HELP!

>Thanks

>Eric Buchanan
>Technical Support Engineer
>Paws Incorporated

URGENT - system crash - lost master.dat

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Eric - run SQL Setup and choose rebuild master.  Then use DISK REINIT and REFIT
to get back the pointers to the user databases

Quote:> We are running SQL 6.5.  Our primary drive crashed last night.  We
> discovered after restoring the backup that we have all of the database files
> but not the master.dat.  Anyone know how to rebuild this file?  HELP!

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 For SQL FAQ entries see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

1. URGENT - system crash- lost master.dat FOLLOW-UP

We found the build master in setup and created one that way but the process
did not complete normally. We found we had no MSDB.dat, so we borrowed one
from another server by dumping and restoring into a db we created with the
same name. That gave us all the stored procedures we were looking for, but
it also brought in the table systasks. When we try to change the scheduled
tasks, we get Err. 2812 not found master.dbo.sp_schedulersignal. We can see
the stored procedure in master, but the scheduler cannot access it.
password/permissions problem? Anyone have any ideas?

2. sql statements to delete from multiple tables

3. NT 11.x Problem: Crashed system, Restoring .dat files

4. SQL Server

5. Master device size in EM does not match master.dat in Explorer

6. Design Software Tool

7. How to recover MASTER only with master.DAT?

8. ResultSetMetaData errors with JSP

9. Q: Lost DB due to system crash but saved DB files how to recreate DB.

10. VB3 PRO owners..windows/system crash...looking for LOST FILES (VB and DATA WIDGETS)

11. URGENT - System Crash

12. URGENT -- lost Cluster password -- URGENT

13. I have lost all my data in but the .dat file exists