Need Advice!!: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum or MAS90?

Need Advice!!: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum or MAS90?

Post by Jeff Johnso » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

    I am about to specify an upgrade from an ancient (but working)
installation of Platinum for DOS (Netware Server) to one of the
following packages: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum for Windows or
MAS90. In any case the package chosen will be running in a btrieve
format as there is no real justifacation for the expense to go up to a
SQL platform.

    I am hoping to get some feedback as to the pluses and minuses of
each of the packages I listed. If I listened to the salespeople you
would think that each of the packages is a kin to the second coming.
This of course means that there are downsides and I am hoping the nice
people here in comp.databases.* can help me to see what they might be,
before I am 50% thru a data migration and tens of thousands of $$$ in
the hole.

    The model of our company is a manufacturer, so besides the usual AR,
AP, Inventory, OE, PO,etc stuff the package would need a strong bill of
materials package, ability to serialize manufactured product, etc. Of
the things I am curious of, besides doing what we need, are:

    Modules and Upgrade Costs?
    Strength of Customer Support?
    Bugginess?
    Customizable reports?
    Performance? (Will be Win98 clients* off of an NT server on
100Base-T)
    Simplicity? (The human interface)

    Any suggestions, opinions or experiences (good or bad) are very
definately appreciated! Please you are a salesperson for one of the
aforementioned packages, do not turn this good natured quest for insight
and knowledge into to a cheap attempt at a business opportunity...

Thanks!!

Jeff

PS: If I actually get real responses (emailed or posted) I will
summarize them and repost to the group

--
Best Regards,

Jeff Johnson                    Manufacturer of high-performance
Vice President                  computer peripherals for Sun, DEC
Product Engineering             Silicon Graphics, IBM, HP and
Western Scientific              other computing platforms.

Address: 9445 Farnham Street, San Diego, CA 92123
         (619) 565-6699 (800) 443-6699 FAX: 6195656699

World Wide Web URL:   http://www.veryComputer.com/

Need Advice!!: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum or MAS90?

Post by Craig Lando » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Well, I'm not an expert on all of the packages--and I doubt you'll find many
who are--but I know Platinum for DOS well.  Guess my response would be:
1. Why change from Platinum?  Platinum for DOS 4.6 is not an "ancient"
version, and is perfectly functional.  Platinum made us an offer to upgrade
from v3.1 for the cost of a year's service contract.  I know they say they
don't "support" it running in a Win95/98 DOS box, but I've been doing it for
some time now under Netware 4.1 with no ill effects.
2. Platinum interfaces with a manufacturing program called Batchmaster that
has the exact same (DOS) look and feel, and has all of the
components/modules you specify.  It will also run in a DOS box.
3. If the driving factor is a switch from Netware to NT, you've got bigger
problems than the accounting program to worry about, and should certainly
stick with Platinum, just to reduce the variables.

> Hello,

>     I am about to specify an upgrade from an ancient (but working)
> installation of Platinum for DOS (Netware Server) to one of the
> following packages: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum for Windows or
> MAS90. In any case the package chosen will be running in a btrieve
> format as there is no real justifacation for the expense to go up to a
> SQL platform.

>     I am hoping to get some feedback as to the pluses and minuses of
> each of the packages I listed. If I listened to the salespeople you
> would think that each of the packages is a kin to the second coming.
> This of course means that there are downsides and I am hoping the nice
> people here in comp.databases.* can help me to see what they might be,
> before I am 50% thru a data migration and tens of thousands of $$$ in
> the hole.

>     The model of our company is a manufacturer, so besides the usual AR,
> AP, Inventory, OE, PO,etc stuff the package would need a strong bill of
> materials package, ability to serialize manufactured product, etc. Of
> the things I am curious of, besides doing what we need, are:

>     Modules and Upgrade Costs?
>     Strength of Customer Support?
>     Bugginess?
>     Customizable reports?
>     Performance? (Will be Win98 clients* off of an NT server on
> 100Base-T)
>     Simplicity? (The human interface)

>     Any suggestions, opinions or experiences (good or bad) are very
> definately appreciated! Please you are a salesperson for one of the
> aforementioned packages, do not turn this good natured quest for insight
> and knowledge into to a cheap attempt at a business opportunity...

> Thanks!!

> Jeff

> PS: If I actually get real responses (emailed or posted) I will
> summarize them and repost to the group

> --
> Best Regards,

> Jeff Johnson                    Manufacturer of high-performance
> Vice President                  computer peripherals for Sun, DEC
> Product Engineering             Silicon Graphics, IBM, HP and
> Western Scientific              other computing platforms.

> Address: 9445 Farnham Street, San Diego, CA 92123
>          (619) 565-6699 (800) 443-6699 FAX: 6195656699

> World Wide Web URL:   http://www.veryComputer.com/

  clandon.vcf
< 1K Download

Need Advice!!: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum or MAS90?

Post by Dana Persell » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

    I would also look at Macola (Btrieve based). It is particularly good in
manufacturing situations. I agree with Craig. If you're changing network
platforms, hold other variables still while the fun goes on. My suggestion
to clients is not to change more than one thing at a time as it can get a
little too exciting and very expensive.
Luck,
 Dana
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the address

Visit our web site at
http://www.tailored-computing.com

Need Advice!!: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum or MAS90?

Post by Jeff Johnso » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

    Thanks to both you and Craig for the responses! Luckily I have the luxury
of doing a parallel implementation of NT and Netware. The whole infrastructure
is kind of dated. We are moving from a 10Base-T Netware/Dos environment to a
100Base-T NT4.0/Win95-98 environment. We recently had a problem where a
platinum user was using platinum from within a DOS window in Win95. There was
a problem with proper IPX file locking and a few databses in platinum got
appended over itself sever times. From 5Megs to 4 Gigs on one database. There
are also speed concerns and network technology implementations driving the
switch to a NT/Win95 environment. Part of this is finding an ops package best
suited for the environment. Luckily I get to install a new NT server, create
the accounts and move non operations users over earlier so the NT bugs will be
worked out and the system stable. I wont take ops users off of Netware until
then. I guess thats one of the pluses to being a systems manufacturer.

    Nothing is going to look similar to Platinum for DOS except for Platinum
for DOS. Since it seems like a departure from that user interface is bound to
occur, my hope here was to find someone using the software in a similar
fashion and give their $.02. You wouldn't believe how many sales people and
developers have contacted me off of the original posting. I asked not to be
and now by contacting me have insured their not getting any business. Last
I looked this was USENET and not ADSNET or PROSPECTINGNET.

    I hear a lot of pluses to Dymanics (GPlains). Super support, etc. It also
connects to Goldmine which our sales people use. I am hoping to hear some down
sides to Dynamics. I know every product has them and the fact I cannot seem to
find anyone that can tell me is scary. It makes me think that the down side
might be big and well hidden. (Yeah, so I am a little paranoid)

    Is it that all of the packages (GPlains, Platinum/Win, MAS90, Macola) are
basically the same and its just who has the best pricing and support? Or do
each have their specific strengths is weaknesses in different business areas?
(distribution, manufacturing, light manufacturing, accounting, etc)

Ideas, Thoughts, Criticisms?

-Jeff

>     I would also look at Macola (Btrieve based). It is particularly good in
> manufacturing situations. I agree with Craig. If you're changing network
> platforms, hold other variables still while the fun goes on. My suggestion
> to clients is not to change more than one thing at a time as it can get a
> little too exciting and very expensive.
> Luck,
>  Dana
> To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the address

> Visit our web site at
> http://www.tailored-computing.com

Need Advice!!: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum or MAS90?

Post by Craig Lando » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Well, IMHO, at bottom, a switch from Netware to NT is a "political" decision (in
the broadest sense), not one based on technological merit, and 10Base vs. 100Base
is irrelevant to it.  But you're right - if you have the luxury of developing a
parallel production plant, at least you don't put the IT segment of your business
as much at risk as most businesses would.

You might find some more experience with these various packages at the
biz.comp.accounting newsgroup.  I think it's the most mature of the accounting NGs
I've visited.

Luck.

>     Thanks to both you and Craig for the responses! Luckily I have the luxury
> of doing a parallel implementation of NT and Netware. The whole infrastructure
> is kind of dated. We are moving from a 10Base-T Netware/Dos environment to a
> 100Base-T NT4.0/Win95-98 environment. We recently had a problem where a
> platinum user was using platinum from within a DOS window in Win95. There was
> a problem with proper IPX file locking and a few databses in platinum got
> appended over itself sever times. From 5Megs to 4 Gigs on one database. There
> are also speed concerns and network technology implementations driving the
> switch to a NT/Win95 environment. Part of this is finding an ops package best
> suited for the environment. Luckily I get to install a new NT server, create
> the accounts and move non operations users over earlier so the NT bugs will be
> worked out and the system stable. I wont take ops users off of Netware until
> then. I guess thats one of the pluses to being a systems manufacturer.
>     Nothing is going to look similar to Platinum for DOS except for Platinum
> for DOS. Since it seems like a departure from that user interface is bound to
> occur, my hope here was to find someone using the software in a similar
> fashion and give their $.02. You wouldn't believe how many sales people and
> developers have contacted me off of the original posting. I asked not to be
> and now by contacting me have insured their not getting any business. Last
> I looked this was USENET and not ADSNET or PROSPECTINGNET.

>     I hear a lot of pluses to Dymanics (GPlains). Super support, etc. It also
> connects to Goldmine which our sales people use. I am hoping to hear some down
> sides to Dynamics. I know every product has them and the fact I cannot seem to
> find anyone that can tell me is scary. It makes me think that the down side
> might be big and well hidden. (Yeah, so I am a little paranoid)

>     Is it that all of the packages (GPlains, Platinum/Win, MAS90, Macola) are
> basically the same and its just who has the best pricing and support? Or do
> each have their specific strengths is weaknesses in different business areas?
> (distribution, manufacturing, light manufacturing, accounting, etc)

> Ideas, Thoughts, Criticisms?

> -Jeff

> >     I would also look at Macola (Btrieve based). It is particularly good in
> > manufacturing situations. I agree with Craig. If you're changing network
> > platforms, hold other variables still while the fun goes on. My suggestion
> > to clients is not to change more than one thing at a time as it can get a
> > little too exciting and very expensive.
> > Luck,
> >  Dana
> > To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the address

> > Visit our web site at
> > http://www.tailored-computing.com

  clandon.vcf
< 1K Download

Need Advice!!: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum or MAS90?

Post by Tim Wohlfor » Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the real truth about NT Vs. Novell when running Btrieve!

I run Novell 4.11, and have noted that (since there is no colorful screen,
and one can't play solitaire) that the Novell stuff is about 30% faster on
the same hardware than NT.  Novell has better security as well.

In addition, my Novell 3.12 server at home has been up for over 300 days,
and it only crashed then because of my cat!  I defy most NT servers to keep
running that long.

Microsoft has done a much better job w/ the hype than they have w/ the
development... in the case of NT -Vs- Novell as well as in SQL Server -Vs-
Btrieve.

Tim Wohlford

>Well, IMHO, at bottom, a switch from Netware to NT is a "political"
decision (in
>the broadest sense), not one based on technological merit, and 10Base vs.
100Base
>is irrelevant to it.  But you're right - if you have the luxury of
developing a
>parallel production plant, at least you don't put the IT segment of your
business
>as much at risk as most businesses would.

1. Need Advice!!: Great Plains Dynamics, Platinum or MAS90?

[...]

    Performance? (Will be Win98 clients hanging off of an NT server on
[...]

World Wide Web URL:   http://www.wsm.com/

2. changing datatype

3. Trigger Getting Cleared in SQL Server 2000 w/ Great Plains Dynamics

4. table and sp Permission missing

5. Great Plains Dynamics C/S+ running on SQL Server 6.5

6. Hobby - MS ACCESS - programmmer looking for part-time job

7. odbc, btrieve, and Great Plains Dynamics

8. SQL DB w/Cobol

9. Great Plains Dynamics

10. SP4 with Great Plains Dynamics

11. Using VB4 Enterprise with Great Plains Dynamics C/S+ via DDE

12. Announce: OCX's for Great Plains Dynamics

13. Interfacing with Great Plains Dynamics