NT auth works, SQL Server auth doesn't

Post by Brian Proffi » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 05:50:51

I can connect to my SQL Server if I use NT authentication, but when I switch
to SQL Server authentication in the System DSN I get an error that the user
isn't associated with a trusted connection.  When I go to the server,
though, the user ID has been added as a Login, with System Administrator
privileges and owner rights to the databases.  Is there something else that
must be done to make a user "trusted"?

NT auth works, SQL Server auth doesn't

Post by Randy Charles Mori » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:12:08

You also have to enable mixed Authentication. Right-click the server in
Enterprise Manager and select Properties. In the Security tab, you have to
select SQL Server and Windows Authentication. Sounds like you may have
already done this, but thought I'd confirm.
--
Randy Charles Morin
Author of Programming Windows Services

Quote:> I can connect to my SQL Server if I use NT authentication, but when I
switch
> to SQL Server authentication in the System DSN I get an error that the
user
> isn't associated with a trusted connection.  When I go to the server,
> though, the user ID has been added as a Login, with System Administrator
> privileges and owner rights to the databases.  Is there something else
that
> must be done to make a user "trusted"?

NT auth works, SQL Server auth doesn't

Post by Brian Proffi » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:48:14

Well I was sure I had done that, but you're right.  However that just shifts
the problem, because when I try to change the registration properties to SQL
Server authentication, it won't accept that user ID, saying it isn't
associated with a trusted connection.  But I can see it right in front of me
in the Logins panel!

I'd appreciate any other ideas you might have.

> You also have to enable mixed Authentication. Right-click the server in
> Enterprise Manager and select Properties. In the Security tab, you have to
> select SQL Server and Windows Authentication. Sounds like you may have
> already done this, but thought I'd confirm.
> --
> Randy Charles Morin
> Author of Programming Windows Services
> http://www.kbcafe.com

> > I can connect to my SQL Server if I use NT authentication, but when I
> switch
> > to SQL Server authentication in the System DSN I get an error that the
> user
> > isn't associated with a trusted connection.  When I go to the server,
> > though, the user ID has been added as a Login, with System Administrator
> > privileges and owner rights to the databases.  Is there something else
> that
> > must be done to make a user "trusted"?

NT auth works, SQL Server auth doesn't

Post by sql200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 18:27:51

I think I have a solution for this problem as I myself faced this problem
when we were deploying our developed application which was using MSDE 2000
and as we were to deploy application on both Windows NT and Windows 98
enviornment we used sql server authentication. This worked fine on 98
machine but failed on windows 2000 machine as msde setup by default takes
Windows authentication on NT based system and On 98 sql authentication, as
NT Auth is not available.

I even put up a question to MSDN  but no responses were their therefore I
decided to do it myself and for about two days I do a lot of R & D but I
could not solve the problem
But as luck was my side I by chance read the readme.txt for MSDE 2000 and
their lies the answer.
Solution is while running sql server setup we can make it to do sql
authentication by a very simple mean like we have to just mention a line in
setup.ini
SECURITYMODE=SQL and thats it my all problem get solved
And thus I realise that we in order to make solutions tends to look in
sophisticated or high leavel solution when that can be solved by going thru
the basic before installing the product

Amit Singh