Displaying Page Views for Messages in Discussion Board

Displaying Page Views for Messages in Discussion Board

Post by Darren Ch » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 05:23:39

Hi all
This message might be slightly off topic, but I wasn't sure where else to post
it...

Does anybody know how to display the number of page views for a particular
thread/message in a discussion board?  I know how to use the Microsoft
PageCounter COM object as well as Application/Session variables, however, I want
to display page hits not for some static page, but for a message-viewing page
that dynamically displays depending on the message ID/topic/thread chosen.  What
I want to do is display a list of popular discussion board messages with the
number of times they've been each viewed beside them.  Would I have to have use
SQL Server's built-in counters for this, or can I simply use ASP/ADO?  I know to
use SQL Server's built-in counters, I'd have to use triggers in conjunction with
stored procedures.  However, triggers only work w/ inserts, deletes and updates.
When a site visitor views a message, only the SQL select statement executes, so a
trigger wouldn't help me here.

Thanks in advance.

1. Displaying page views for messages in Discussion Board

[...]

2. calc member again

3. Welcome to FreeBSD unix discussion forums, message boards !

4. Pics in SQL Database

5. Efficient paging in an message board system

6. Parsing a string into fields

7. Notice/Discussion Board Database

8. Document Scan and Filing

9. Discussion board seeks your expertise

10. FMP-Layout - display record n in page view??

11. A Great Tech Message Board

12. Creating a Message Board

13. Message Board