HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Carl Waldro » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if anyone out there is using a Network
Appliance filer to host their SQL database(s) in a production
environment.   We are looking into this as a solution for our
Microsoft *and* Oracle databases, but I have serious reservations
about mounting database files across a network.

Is anyone out there doing this?  If so, what are some of the issues
you have experienced?  Problems?  Success stories?  Are you happy with
the combination?  Is there any danger of data corruption?

I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me
even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

Please direct all answers to the NG's.

Thanks,

Carl

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Neil Pik » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

 Carl,

 > I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me

Quote:> even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
> the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

 MSCS doesn't support network attached databases...

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Don't Bothe » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Carl,

I've been looking into buying a NetApp filer for a second site and have
been putting many hours into talking with Oracle users who run it in
production.

I was also asking them the same question about an NFS type filesystem.
Everyone said thier seek access improved by using the NetApp filer
since the filesystems reside on the filer and the the OS.

If you want, I can ask my Netapp Rep to provide you with some Oracle
sites running it.

David Knollhoff

Quote:> Hi all,

--
Cry on someones elses shoulder

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Carl Waldro » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Neil,

According to the Network Appliance white papers you can configure a
"mapped-drive" cluster resource in combination with batch-files that
allow you to use network attached databases with MSCS.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for answers from some one who is
actually doing this...

-Carl

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 14:27:01 +0100, Neil Pike

> Carl,

> > I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me
>> even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
>> the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

> MSCS doesn't support network attached databases...

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> Reply here - no email
> SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
> or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
> or www.sqlserverfaq.com
> or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Joe Malone » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I am not sure what you mean by NetApp filer, but I have 4 instances
that are do NFS mounts to a 5th box for selected tablespace files. Is
this what you mean?

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Mike » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

My guess is that there are not a lot of people doing this, because of the
various reasons that have you hesitant.  Why do it if you don't need to.

If you truly want to track someone down who is doing this, then I would
suggest having your network appliance var give you some people to contact.

I did take a look at the specs for this hardware and the biggest issue I can
see is performance.  It appears to connect to the server through a network
connection.  Ethernet is not exactly well know for high asyncronous I/O
rates.  Fibre Channel and Ultra SCSI are still the prefered methods for
connecting external arrays to a data server.

IBM's site has some interesting information that can apply to other arrays
besides theirs.

http://www.storage.ibm.com/storagesmart/psa/products.htm

> Neil,

> According to the Network Appliance white papers you can configure a
> "mapped-drive" cluster resource in combination with batch-files that
> allow you to use network attached databases with MSCS.

> Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for answers from some one who is
> actually doing this...

> -Carl

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 14:27:01 +0100, Neil Pike

> > Carl,

> > > I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me
> >> even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
> >> the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

> > MSCS doesn't support network attached databases...

> > Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> > Reply here - no email
> > SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> > http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> > (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
> > or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
> > or www.sqlserverfaq.com
> > or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if anyone out there is using a Network
Appliance filer to host their SQL database(s) in a production
environment.   We are looking into this as a solution for our
Microsoft *and* Oracle databases, but I have serious reservations
about mounting database files across a network.

Is anyone out there doing this?  If so, what are some of the issues
you have experienced?  Problems?  Success stories?  Are you happy with
the combination?  Is there any danger of data corruption?

I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me
even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

Please direct all answers to the NG's.

Thanks,

Carl

2. SQL procedures and dynamic SQL

3. Error with Group By and Text field

4. Oracle on Network Appliance's Netapp Filer

5. Performance problem with a PeopleSoft Database

6. Network Appliance's Netapp Filer and Oracle

7. Database Implementation in Java

8. Network Appliance filers SQL

9. Network Appliance filers and SQL Server 7.0

10. SQL 2000 running on a Network Appliance 820 filer

11. Network Appliance filers SQL