Making Tables Memory Resident

Post by Dylan C Phillip » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I'm working on a system that will have very high transaction loads (upwards
of 300 transactions per second).  I have two questions associated with this
development.

1.)  Can SQL Server 7.0 handles that kind of load

2.)  Can I make certain tables in SQL Server 7.0 memory resident to reduce
seek time?  What are the pro's and con's of this method?

Dylan

Making Tables Memory Resident

Post by Jens K Jense » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi Dylan, look up DBCC pintable( database_id, table_id) in BOL. BOL includes
the Pro's and Con's as well.

regards
jensk

Quote:> I'm working on a system that will have very high transaction loads
(upwards
> of 300 transactions per second).  I have two questions associated with
this
> development.

> 1.)  Can SQL Server 7.0 handles that kind of load

> 2.)  Can I make certain tables in SQL Server 7.0 memory resident to reduce
> seek time?  What are the pro's and con's of this method?

> Dylan

Making Tables Memory Resident

Post by Kalen Delane » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

It's actually recommended that you use sp_tableoption with the PINTABLE
option. Look up sp_tableoption for details. This proc actually calls the
DBCC, but sp's are always preferred over dbccs. The DBCC is not guaranteed
to stick around in the future.

HTH

--
------------------------------------
Kalen Delaney

Feed Someone for Free Today:
     www.TheHungerSite.com

> Hi Dylan, look up DBCC pintable( database_id, table_id) in BOL. BOL
includes
> the Pro's and Con's as well.

> regards
> jensk

> > I'm working on a system that will have very high transaction loads
> (upwards
> > of 300 transactions per second).  I have two questions associated with
> this
> > development.

> > 1.)  Can SQL Server 7.0 handles that kind of load

> > 2.)  Can I make certain tables in SQL Server 7.0 memory resident to
reduce
> > seek time?  What are the pro's and con's of this method?

> > Dylan

Making Tables Memory Resident

Post by Kalen Delane » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

It's actually recommended that you use sp_tableoption with the PINTABLE
option. Look up sp_tableoption for details. This proc actually calls the
DBCC, but sp's are always preferred over dbccs. The DBCC is not guaranteed
to stick around in the future.

HTH

--
------------------------------------
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
www.InsideSQLServer.com

Feed Someone for Free Today:
     www.TheHungerSite.com

> Hi Dylan, look up DBCC pintable( database_id, table_id) in BOL. BOL
includes
> the Pro's and Con's as well.

> regards
> jensk

> > I'm working on a system that will have very high transaction loads
> (upwards
> > of 300 transactions per second).  I have two questions associated with
> this
> > development.

> > 1.)  Can SQL Server 7.0 handles that kind of load

> > 2.)  Can I make certain tables in SQL Server 7.0 memory resident to
reduce
> > seek time?  What are the pro's and con's of this method?

> > Dylan

1. Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resident program)

Is it possible to run post-gresql in memory? I searched through all the
older postings didn't find much info.

Thanks
Ravi

2. SE sqlhosts/services/ip problem

3. Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resident

4. Little question

5. memory resident table

6. sybase 11.9.2 and stored procedures

7. Memory Resident Tables.

8. Determining if a jdbc connection is still valid

9. memory resident table

10. Side Effects of Setting Tables Memory Resident

11. XPS 8.31 Memory Resident Tables

12. table memory resident

13. Memory resident tables