Process WILL NOT DIE!

Post by Larr » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I don't know exactly what happened, but I'm building an application in
ACC97 with a SQL 6.5 back end.  In the middle of a transacted procedure an
error occured and the transaction was never rolled back.  I can't say for
sure that this is where the problem started, but I suspect that it might
be.

I have a bunch of INSERT processes running on my master database and a
bunch of object locks on my system tables.  (eg tempdb.dbo.sysobjects,
tempdb.dbo.sysindexes, tempdb.dbo.syscolumns, tempdb.dbo.#info,
master.dbo.spt_values).  Also Extent Lock - Exclusive for 3 identical items
that say
sa.master.dbo/INSERT/ServerName (MS SQLEW)   (when I click detail it says
dbcc inputbuffer(13)).

I tried to Kill it with the GUI interface, I tried the Kill command in
T-SQL, I bounced the SQL Server, the NT Server, and every machine connected
to my SQL Server.  These processes will not die and it is preventing me
from running the code where the problem started.

Any ideas, this is very frustrating.

Thanks

Process WILL NOT DIE!

Post by Ron Talmag » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Larry,

If a transaction aborts SQL Server will always roll it back. If not right
away, at least when you stop and restart the server.

The SQLEW processes are from Enterprise Manager, probably also with the
Current Activity window open. If you want to get rid of them, just quit
Enterprise Manager.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Ron Talmage
SQL Server MVP, MCSD, MCP

1. DB PROCESS Died Or not enabled

env :
Windows NT MS-SQL 6.5
Powerbuilder

I am getting a DB PROCESS Died Or not enabled, While trying to save database
changes, In Process of saving I call a Store Procedure
(Get_Shared_Choice_Grp). Which terminates the connection.
I am send the error log and store procedure which is creating problem. It
terminates the connection with powerbuilder.
search for "Get_Shared_Choice_Grp" store procedure in the log file
-Charles

  Errorlog-1.sql
12K Download

2. DDFUtil for CREATE TABLE statements

3. Process will not die

4. GUItization of Pick App

5. Killed process not dying

6. Accessing 32bit Access from a 16bit VB app using ODBC

7. Process in Unix does not die after 4gl program ends

8. sqlloader manual...

9. KILLed Sybase process will not die?

10. Process Will not DIE

11. fglgo process does not die