Data Name Source - Mandatory Profile

Post by JCondell » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 02:38:32

We have Win2k SP2 workstations running in a NT 4 domain.  We use a mandatory
user profile that configures  a User DSN to allow an application to query a
SQL server.  I needed to change the DSN information so that it now connects
to a different server.  The new server is using a different port number,
(4951), for the connection.  When I config the new User DSN, I enter the new
IP address for the server and in client configs, I deselect "dynamically
determine port" and enter the port number.  I complete the config and test
connection, then logoff.  After i change the profile to mandatory, and log
on as that user, I am unable to connect.  If I then logon with my admin.
account, create the same User DSN, make connection and log-out, I can log
back in as a regular user and things work fine, seem to continue to work
fine eeven after a restart.  Also, if I look at the client config area as
that user, the port infomation has defaulted back to "dynamically determine
port".  I know that this is a port issue, I have looked at the firewall logs
and seen what port was being used when connections worked and didn't work.

I have tried different methods of changing the profile, I tried making the
user a member of  local admin group when creating the profile, thinking that
there might be a registry permissions problem, which is where I still think
the problem lies, but once I switch the user back and make the profile
mandatory, I have the problem.. If I look at DSN setting when user is part
of admin group, the correct port number is still in the client config area.
Any ideas how I can get this to work correctly?

1. Data Name Source - Mandatory Profile

[...]

2. Looking for a DB2 DBA

3. Help:ODBC Data Source Admin doesn't show Names of new Data Sources

4. HELP! How to GENSCRNX on a MAC?

5. Data Source: Programmatically Configuring an ODBC Data Source - HELP PLEASE

6. A bug of seek()???

7. cannot add MSAccess 97 data source in ODBC Data Source Admin

8. Wanted: Opinions about JScape's PlannerWidgets

9. Data source name not found error

10. Data Source Name not found and no default driver specified

11. Data Source is file name that changes daily

12. Data source name not found and no default driver specified

13. ODBC Connection error - Data Source Name not found and no default server specified