Confused about Windows 2003 Server CAL's and SQL Server Licenses

Confused about Windows 2003 Server CAL's and SQL Server Licenses

Post by Jaso » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 05:19:56

Hello All,

I am putting together a budget to migrate our databases to SQL Server
2000.  We will have about 500 internal users and 1000's of web users.
We will be purchasing the SQL Per Processor License, but my question
is since the SQL Server will be on a new Windows 2003 server do we
have to buy Windows 2003 CALS for every potential SQL user?

Thanks for your help,

Jason

Confused about Windows 2003 Server CAL's and SQL Server Licenses

Post by Don R. Watter » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:53:50

Hey Jason,

     The best thing to do is to contact your local Microsoft rep and have
them explain what needs to happen.  We just went through this whole nut
roll, and we still don't have it right, because we listened to someone that
"thought" they knew how it all worked.  It's so danged complicated now that
you can't just look at a chart and figure it out.  The bottom line answer
is, any unauthenticated user can access the database no problem on a per
processor machine, with Win2K3, but any user that connects needs to have a
CAL.  Atleast that's my understanding.

HTH

--
Regards,

Don R. Watters
Data Group Manager
PhotoWorks, Inc.

Quote:> Hello All,

> I am putting together a budget to migrate our databases to SQL Server
> 2000.  We will have about 500 internal users and 1000's of web users.
> We will be purchasing the SQL Per Processor License, but my question
> is since the SQL Server will be on a new Windows 2003 server do we
> have to buy Windows 2003 CALS for every potential SQL user?

> Thanks for your help,

> Jason

Confused about Windows 2003 Server CAL's and SQL Server Licenses

Post by Jaso » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:22:07

Don,

That is the response I got back from our Univeristy's license
purchaser after she contacted the schools Microsoft Rep.

"...whether you need to buy extra CALs for Windows Server depends on
whether or not those users would be authenticated by the system or
not. If they have to identify themselves when they use the server,then
yes, they need CALs. The next question is whether they are employees
or students. If they are accessing the server from inside the
university or if they are other faculty or school employees, they will
each need a CAL. If, on the other hand, they are students, trading
partners, or customers of some sort accessing the server from outside
the school, then they could all be covered by a Windows External
Connector CAL."

I wish Microsoft would simplify there licensing agreements, because
for a small group that is not use to licensing it is very confusing
and easy to make a mistake.

Jason

> Hey Jason,

>      The best thing to do is to contact your local Microsoft rep and have
> them explain what needs to happen.  We just went through this whole nut
> roll, and we still don't have it right, because we listened to someone that
> "thought" they knew how it all worked.  It's so danged complicated now that
> you can't just look at a chart and figure it out.  The bottom line answer
> is, any unauthenticated user can access the database no problem on a per
> processor machine, with Win2K3, but any user that connects needs to have a
> CAL.  Atleast that's my understanding.

> HTH

> --
> Regards,

> Don R. Watters
> Data Group Manager
> PhotoWorks, Inc.

> > Hello All,

> > I am putting together a budget to migrate our databases to SQL Server
> > 2000.  We will have about 500 internal users and 1000's of web users.
> > We will be purchasing the SQL Per Processor License, but my question
> > is since the SQL Server will be on a new Windows 2003 server do we
> > have to buy Windows 2003 CALS for every potential SQL user?

> > Thanks for your help,

> > Jason

Confused about Windows 2003 Server CAL's and SQL Server Licenses

Post by User » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 05:47:46

But if only 50 employees (out of 5000) need be authenticated at one time
does that mean only 50 CAL's or 5000 ?

Or if you outsource your database to a vendor - thus the vendor
becomes a "trading partner", then have your 5000 employess
access the vendors machines would University employees (who
are not employees of the vendor) all be convered by a Windows External
Connector CAL.

There are two words to explain all of this

OPEN SOURCE

Quote:> Don,

> That is the response I got back from our Univeristy's license
> purchaser after she contacted the schools Microsoft Rep.

> "...whether you need to buy extra CALs for Windows Server depends on
> whether or not those users would be authenticated by the system or
> not. If they have to identify themselves when they use the server,then
> yes, they need CALs. The next question is whether they are employees
> or students. If they are accessing the server from inside the
> university or if they are other faculty or school employees, they will
> each need a CAL. If, on the other hand, they are students, trading
> partners, or customers of some sort accessing the server from outside
> the school, then they could all be covered by a Windows External
> Connector CAL."

1. Can't install SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003 French

Hi,

I can't install SQL Server 2000 French (either Developer
or Enterprise - MSDN Version) on Windows Server 2003
French (Standard - Final - downloaded from MSDN).

I get a dialog box saying that SQL Server 2000 cannot be
installed on this operating system. If I click continue,
the setup fails before the end of setup process.

Does anybody know a solution?

Loic

2. How to get TEXT value in OUTPUT parameter

3. SQL Server 2000 Setup Procedure on Windows Server 2003

4. What is qrong with this Stored procedure

5. SQL 2000 Server SP3 and Windows Server 2003

6. Pranks

7. Install SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003 WEb Edition

8. Speed up ABF compile

9. SQL Server 2000 SP3 fails to install on Windows Server 2003

10. SQL Server 2000 won't install on Window Server 2003

11. SQL Server Licenses converting to BackOffice CAL's