Phonetic Searching

Post by Kwan Fu Si » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:40:12

Hello.  I'm trying to find out if MS SQL Server 7 supports a phonetic
type search.  I've already looked up SOUNDEX() and its not exactly
what we want.

What we want to do is to be able to do a wildcard select but with some
logic in it.  Example is a customer table with name.  There are two
entries one for OConner and another for O'Conner.  The only difference
is the apostrophe.  Is there a way to do a search for 'oconner' and
get both of them without having to resort to a new column containing
no special characters.

Thanks for any help.

Kwan Fu Sit
Software Developer/DBA

Phonetic Searching

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 04:32:57

How about something like this?  I have tested it within SQL7 and SQL2k and
it returns both rows that you want.

create table #holdsomedata (col1 varchar(50))
go
insert into #holdsomedata values ('O''Conner')
insert into #holdsomedata values ('OConner')
insert into #holdsomedata values ('Kwan Fu Sit')
go
select * from #holdsomedata
where col1 like 'o%conner'

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hello.  I'm trying to find out if MS SQL Server 7 supports a phonetic
> type search.  I've already looked up SOUNDEX() and its not exactly
> what we want.

> What we want to do is to be able to do a wildcard select but with some
> logic in it.  Example is a customer table with name.  There are two
> entries one for OConner and another for O'Conner.  The only difference
> is the apostrophe.  Is there a way to do a search for 'oconner' and
> get both of them without having to resort to a new column containing
> no special characters.

> Thanks for any help.

> Kwan Fu Sit
> Software Developer/DBA

1. Phonetic Searches

Does anyone know of a utility that can perform phonetic comparisons against
a SQL Server database?

I've tried out the SOUNDEX and DIFFERENCE functions but do not find them to
be very accurate

2. Updating a table from another similar table

3. Phonetic search in fulltext catalog

4. An SQL question

5. Fuzzy Phonetic searching

6. help on date column