SQL Server 6.5 installation

Post by sanjeevmi.. » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi:

Please advise which is the best possible scenario of the following two
for installing SQL Server 6.5 on Windows NT 4.0, if the objective is to
avoid page faulting subsequently by both Windows NT 4.0 and SQL Server
Process:

1. Install SQL Server 6.5 on the same drive as Windows NT 4.0 operating
   system. This means installing master.dat data device in the \DATA
   directory of the home directory (\MSSQL) of SQL Server 6.5 on the
   same drive as the Windows NT 4.0 operating system. NTFS may be
   assumed.
2. Given Raid 5.0 option available install SQL Server 6.5 on a
   different logical/physical disk than where Windows NT 4.0 is
   installed, ensuring that master.dat is also installed on that
   different disk (i.e. not on the disk on which windows NT 4.0 is
   installed.

The reason I want to know which is the best scenario of the above two
is that our SQL Server has been experiencing a lot of page faults both
from the Windows NT 4.0 operating system and its own process. More
memory has been given to the Windows NT 4.0 operating system and many
configuration parameters tuned, which has resulted in a reduction of
the page faults. Our application is such that it causes some of the
tables in master database to be written to whenever certain conditions
are met by the user who has logged in.  Currently the SQL Server 6.5
resides on the same logical and physical drive as Window NT 4.0.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Sanjeev Mitra
D.B.A.
Pacific Bell
San Ramon
California

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SQL Server 6.5 installation

Post by Bob Pfeif » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 13:06:03

You certainly want to put your user databases and tempdb on the raid disks,
master and other system databases on the system disk shouldn't be a big
problem.  If your app is writing to the master database such that it causes
paging, then I would say the app needs to be redesigned.  If you're server
is doing hard paging (Memory: Pages/sec counter in perfmon) then you may
simply need more physical RAM in your SQL Server for the load.

SQL Server 6.5 installation

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Sanjeev  - see the pagefaults FAQ entry....

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or    http://www.ntfaq.com/Section.cfm?sectionID=34
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq