Declarative Referential Integrity and SQL 7

Declarative Referential Integrity and SQL 7

Post by Dan » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Does SQL 7 support cascading for DRI (PK/FK), or the only way to do it is
"triggers" ?.

--
All the best,

Daniel Gavrilescu

Declarative Referential Integrity and SQL 7

Post by John Becke » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You must use triggers, no FK.

>Does SQL 7 support cascading for DRI (PK/FK), or the only way to do it is
>"triggers" ?.

>--
>All the best,

>Daniel Gavrilescu

Declarative Referential Integrity and SQL 7

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Dan - triggers are it for now I'm afraid

Quote:> Does SQL 7 support cascading for DRI (PK/FK), or the only way to do it is
> "triggers" ?.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp

1. MS SQL 6.5: Declarative Referential Integrity / Cascading Update

With MS SQL Server 6.5 Cascading Update & Cascading Delete can be done with
"declarative referential integrity".
But: I didn't manage to define tables with primary/foreign key constraints
where e.g. a cascading update automatically occurs.
When I try to update a row in the 'primary key'-table the message 'UPDATE
statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN KEY constraint ...' displays.

Can anyone give me a hint how the primary/foreign key constraints have to be
done in order to make it all work.

Thanks.

2. Database replication with Access

3. SQL 7: Use triggers or declarative referential integrity?

4. US-CA-Santa Clara-Programmer/Analyst

5. declarative referential integrity (DRI)

6. How To Import a Text File into MDB

7. Declarative Referential Integrity vs Triggers?

8. Wrapping up PL\SQL packages

9. problems with declarative referential integrity?

10. Use declarative referential integrity or triggers?

11. Declarative Referential Integrity

12. Cascase deletes in declarative referential integrity

13. Declarative Referential Integrity Question