A table is being block, other users cann't access the table

A table is being block, other users cann't access the table

Post by Joe » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:50:28

Dear All,

   I have a blocking problem on a table when a user
retrieve all records of the table to a datawindow by
powerbuilder and works on it, the table is being locked.
Other user can't do anything. How to release the lock of
the table?

Thanks very much
Joe

A table is being block, other users cann't access the table

Post by Uri Diman » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:53:14

Please do read on BOL about KILL command

Quote:> Dear All,

>    I have a blocking problem on a table when a user
> retrieve all records of the table to a datawindow by
> powerbuilder and works on it, the table is being locked.
> Other user can't do anything. How to release the lock of
> the table?

> Thanks very much
> Joe

A table is being block, other users cann't access the table

Post by Toby Herrin » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:30:42

While I'm not a PowerBuilder developer, I would assume there is some way in
PowerBuilder to set the connection/recordset to use optimistic or batch
locking.

Failing that, modify the application to use a disconnected recordset.

This is really an application design issue more than a SQL Server
programming issue.

This is, of course, assuming that you _want_ to allow that user to edit the
table directly.  If not, do as Uri suggested and look into the KILL command.

Optionally, you could give the user a good swift kick and explain to them
that they are causing application failures across the system.  If you take
this option, make sure you make the statement within earshot of the
CTO/COO/CEO for maximum effectiveness.

--
Toby Herring
Software Architects, Inc.

Quote:> Dear All,

>    I have a blocking problem on a table when a user
> retrieve all records of the table to a datawindow by
> powerbuilder and works on it, the table is being locked.
> Other user can't do anything. How to release the lock of
> the table?

1. Oracle 8i lite, I can't enter data into a table, ( newbie I am )

I've got  a copy of 8i lite running on NT using ODBC to connect to database.
I made a new table using Oracle 8 Navigator.
Using sqlplus I can describe the table but the following happens when I try
to enter data. I logged in as SYSTEM with ODBC:POLITE:test_db as connect
string. Has anyone got any ideas ?? Our experienced Oracle dba has had a
look and can't figure it out.  I'vve tried it on several installations of
Windows NT.

George

Connected to:
Oracle Open Client Adapter for ODBC 6.0.5.3.0
Oracle Lite ORDBMS 4.0.0.2.0

SQL> describe table1
 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 NAME                                     VARCHAR2(10)
 ADDRESS                                  VARCHAR2(10)

SQL> INSERT into table1
  2  ( NAME, ADDRESS )
  3  values(me, somewhere);
INSERT into table1
*
ERROR at line 1:
OCA-30035: column not found
[POL-5205] column not found

2. SQL Query to query a view with a changing name

3. Linking Access Tables in Different *.mdb Files, Populating an Access Table From Several Others

4. Get output cursor from ADO

5. I am custom Traverse97 Programmer, seeking others.

6. Remove Leading Spaces with SQL

7. error ORA-01855: AM/A.M. or PM/P.M. required

8. "Cluster" means "tangle" for me

9. Busy Day = Slowdown from 12 AM - 5 AM

10. Accessing another user's table without qualifying table name with the owner-name

11. I am getting this message when i am tring to export or import anything using

12. Use of @am, Am I dumb?

13. 50 users running Access, am I crazy.