Recommendation of published database theorist and long-time practioner in greater DC area

Recommendation of published database theorist and long-time practioner in greater DC area

Post by D » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:06:42

If you are or if you know one, please drop me a line, much appreciated.

Don

1. Publishing web databases - recommendations?

I'm wanting to expand my skillset and learn some web database
publishing skills but am finding it difficult settling on a platform
and software to learn on which will not land me in a developer cul-de-
sac (i.e. skills using tools with little support in the market place).

I'm a proficient developer of static web-sites, have had exposure to
scripting environments like Javascript and have a good functional
knowledge of web application development. I also run a G3 Apple Mac at
home and would like to avoid (for space and cost reasons) investing in
a PC. An environment I could run under emulation, a Mac flavour of
Linux or remotely via the internet would suit best.

This is an option I've been considering which I'd appreciate feedback
on:-

Option 1/
* Create database on Mac in Filemaker (which I've had some exposure to)
* Export database to Access or SQL flavour (suggestions??)
* Learn client tools of ColdFusion on MacG3 (under VirtualPC emulation)
* Develop live site with ColdFusion ISP which supports SQL or Access
database.

I'm keen to learn technologies which are a good compromise of all these
factors:-
* the time overhead in learning
* the flexibility/take-up in the marketplace
* will not require major hardware/software investment beyond existing
tools

Would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,

Matt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. U/G sqlserver 7 under NT4 to sqlserver 2000 standard under windows2000 server

3. Edgar Codd, Key Theorist of Databases, Dies at 79

4. US, CA, Newport Beach: Senior Oracle DBA

5. Restoring a published database to a non- published database

6. DBGRID Question

7. DOS Database Recommendations Invited (long)

8. Setting up multiple Instances

9. Greate new database

10. Available Publishing Databases Under Publishing

11. Help Help My DBCC CheckDB run a long long time

12. SQL statment takse a long long time...

13. KB Q282416 - Opening the Database Folder in SQL Server Takes a Long Time