Database Comparison Tool ( Ver 6.5 or 7.0 )

Database Comparison Tool ( Ver 6.5 or 7.0 )

Post by Eleano » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know of any tool which can be used to compare the contents
and properties of 2 MS-SQL databases? There may well be something in the
Enterprise Manager or some SQL script that could do this but as yet we
haven't been able to find it. We need something like this to check
development databases before updating using them in our production
environments.

regards

Garreth McDaid

Database Comparison Tool ( Ver 6.5 or 7.0 )

Post by Bob Pfeif » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I've done this a couple of ways on different projects:

Using ERWin (database modeling CASE tool) to compare databases (OK with SQL
6.5, may be some problems with SQL 7.0).

Storing the DDL scripts for the database in Visual Source Safe which will
compare versions.

--
Bob Pfeiff
MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Database Comparison Tool ( Ver 6.5 or 7.0 )

Post by Dominic Youn » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Garreth.

    In the past I have been a big fan of Platinum's ERwin. Essentially a
case tool that graphically displays your databases, this allows you to
reverse engineer existing databases, create new databases and modify
existing databases. You could take an Erwin model of a current database and
compare it to another, applying changes if needed.
    I also used it in conjunction with Visual Source safe and applied
version control with it etc.

    Available from all good suppliers ( or check out their web site
http://www.platinum.com/products/factsht/erwin_fs.htm )

    Downside ( of course ) cost in the region of GBP 3000

    Later,
    Dom.

>Does anyone know of any tool which can be used to compare the contents
>and properties of 2 MS-SQL databases? There may well be something in the
>Enterprise Manager or some SQL script that could do this but as yet we
>haven't been able to find it. We need something like this to check
>development databases before updating using them in our production
>environments.

>regards

>Garreth McDaid

Database Comparison Tool ( Ver 6.5 or 7.0 )

Post by Alan Jone » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Garreth:

Check out Embarcadero's Schema Manager:

http://embarcadero.com/products/schemamanager/schemamanager.htm

From them: Embarcadero Schema Manager allows database administrators to
archive, compare, synchronize, and migrate application schemas on Oracle,
Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server and DB2 Universal Databases.

Bruce

1. Triggers in SQL ver 6.5 and SQL ver 7.0

Hello,

I have a table called STUDENTS and STUDENTS_LOG.

I have created a TRIGGER on STUDENTS table that executes automatically when
I attempt to Insert or update the STUDENTS table.  The trigger adds a record
into STUDENTS_LOG using the INSERTED logical  table. This is to keep a
history of all modifications in the STUDENTS table.
------------------------------------
CREATE TRIGGER TRIG_STUDENT ON dbo.STUDENTS

FOR INSERT,UPDATE
AS

  INSERT INTO STUDENTS_LOG SELECT *  FROM INSERTED
-------------------------------------

STUDENTS table contains an IDENITY field.  I use a stored procedure to add a

other purposes.
STUDENTS_LOG table does not contain any IDENTITY fields

This operation worked fine with SQL ver 6.5

command in the TRIGGER

Why?

Thankyou for your time.

Gina Geurgis
The University of Queensland

2. Filters on created database object

3. ver 6.5 vs 7.0 Syntax err

4. SQL BEGINNER HELP

5. Ver 6.5 SQL Server ERROR seen on 7.0: Losing DTC Service May Leave Orphaned Transactions (Q195542)

6. Oracle Pipes Server /automatic Oracle-Server booting

7. HELP: returnsrows after upgrade ver 6.5 to 7.0

8. Migrating from Access to SQL server7

9. Restoring data from ver 6 into ver 6.5

11. Transfer database from Sql 6.5 and 7.0 to Sql 7.0

12. SQL 7.0 database migration from 6.5 do I need the 7.0 client

13. 6.5 to 7.0 Upgrade: 7.0 doesn't contail all objects from 6.5