DTS Wizard Confusion

Post by Dan Lawr » Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I'm a first time user as I just joined the IT dept of a company with no
experience in SQL Server.  We are using SQL Server 7 and earlier this
month I was able to create a package to convert SQL Database Tables to
Paradox 5.X tables but now when I create a job to do the same, The new
tables are created but every attempt to copy records from table to table
fails.  Below are more specifics.

Running from a local server with TWO database as a trial database.
Doing a straight copy of tables without editing any script or options.
No username/password needed for the destination side of the
transformation.  The error message I get states that data could not be
copied to the new tables.  I know this isn't exactly technically
detailed but if anyone has an idea on what should be done or if anyone
needs more information on this problem then post a response requesting
it.  Thanks

Dan

DTS Wizard Confusion

Post by Paul Clement » Wed, 02 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi Dan,

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a permissions problem.  When
you run a package within DTS it uses your permisions but if you try to do it
automatically it uses SQL permissions.  It may be that the Paradox tables
don't have sufficient permissions.

Just a thought

Paul Clements

Quote:> I'm a first time user as I just joined the IT dept of a company with no
> experience in SQL Server.  We are using SQL Server 7 and earlier this
> month I was able to create a package to convert SQL Database Tables to
> Paradox 5.X tables but now when I create a job to do the same, The new
> tables are created but every attempt to copy records from table to table
> fails.  Below are more specifics.

> Running from a local server with TWO database as a trial database.
> Doing a straight copy of tables without editing any script or options.
> No username/password needed for the destination side of the
> transformation.  The error message I get states that data could not be
> copied to the new tables.  I know this isn't exactly technically
> detailed but if anyone has an idea on what should be done or if anyone
> needs more information on this problem then post a response requesting
> it.  Thanks

> Dan

1. DTS problem using DTS wizard (could this be a bug)

I am using DTS wizard to import a table from Access 97 to SQL Server 7 .
There is one field in this table with a data type of Date/time in Access.
The destination table in SQL Server has no Timestamp column.  I have
imported data from this table several times in the past. Recently, I am
having the following error and the import fails

The error is

error at destination row number 97701, errors encountered so far in this
task, 1, insert error, column 3('next_call', DBType_DBTIMESTAMP), status 6,
data overflow. Invalid character cast specification.

The 'next_call' refered above has a datatype smalldatetime in SQL Server and
date/time in Access

I even created another table but gives me the same message. Is there any
settings that I messed up in SQL Server ? I also droped the column with data
type smalldatetime and recreated but with no luck ?

Any ideas ???

2. Caldera Linux & IDS 7.31

3. !!!Oracle DBA's and Developers

4. Problem using DTS wizard to DTS from Sybase

5. OH-Cleveland: Oracle DBAs Needed

6. restore Error:HY000 & DTS Wizard Error

7. customise DTS wizard settings?

8. DTS WIZARD

9. PROBLEMI CON DTS IMPORT WIZARD SQL 7

10. MS DTS -- Import Wizard