Restore - Database has a different sort order ID 42 than the server i want to restore on ?

Restore - Database has a different sort order ID 42 than the server i want to restore on ?

Post by Ulri » Tue, 27 May 2003 16:46:08

Hello everybody,

Someone sent me a SQL 7 server dump to restore on my server, when i
launch the restore i got the following message "Database has a
different sort order ID 42 that the one running on this server 52 and
at least one of them is a non-binary sort order" .

I tried to change in the registry the code page in the registry and a
few things ... but without success. Can someone advice me on what to
do to get this dump work on the destination box ?

Thanks for you time and hints .

Regards,

Emmanuel

Restore - Database has a different sort order ID 42 than the server i want to restore on ?

Post by Russell Field » Tue, 27 May 2003 21:20:25

Ulrich,

There is no supported way to do this.

You can generate a server with the proper sort order, load the backup, then
bcp (or DTS) out the data from Server42 and load it (with bcp or DTS) into
Server52.

Russell Fields

Quote:> Hello everybody,

> Someone sent me a SQL 7 server dump to restore on my server, when i
> launch the restore i got the following message "Database has a
> different sort order ID 42 that the one running on this server 52 and
> at least one of them is a non-binary sort order" .

> I tried to change in the registry the code page in the registry and a
> few things ... but without success. Can someone advice me on what to
> do to get this dump work on the destination box ?

> Thanks for you time and hints .

> Regards,

> Emmanuel

Restore - Database has a different sort order ID 42 than the server i want to restore on ?

Post by Wayne Snyde » Wed, 28 May 2003 12:55:25

Another thing you can do is to restore the SQL 7 backup on a SQL 2k
server... EACH db in SQL 2k may have a different sort order...

Quote:> Hello everybody,

> Someone sent me a SQL 7 server dump to restore on my server, when i
> launch the restore i got the following message "Database has a
> different sort order ID 42 that the one running on this server 52 and
> at least one of them is a non-binary sort order" .

> I tried to change in the registry the code page in the registry and a
> few things ... but without success. Can someone advice me on what to
> do to get this dump work on the destination box ?

> Thanks for you time and hints .

> Regards,

> Emmanuel

1. Restore error message: Different Sort Order ID

I'm trying to restore a database from within the SQL Enterprise Manager on
my Win95 workstation (connected to an NT 4.0 server running SQL Server 6.5).
I select Restore->From Device->Add File and select the .DAT file. Then I
click on 'Restore Now' and get the message:

[SQL Server] The database you are attempting to LOAD was DUMPed under a
different sort order ID [44] than the one currently running on this server
[54] and at least one of them is a non-binary sort order.

I've looked on dejanews and checked the FAQ and understand this is a big
problem and means I'll basically have to reinstall SQL Server. I cannot find
anywhere that defines exactly what sort order id 44 is looking for or what
sort order id 54 is providing. Unfortunately my client is gone for a few
days and I'd like to get this data loaded before he gets back.

A few questions:

1. Do I have to reinstall SQL Server on the server only or on my workstation
as well?

2. Do I have to uninstall them first or can I just install over them?

3. Is there a way I can determine from the .DAT file I'm trying to restore
just what settings I must use when I reinstall SQL Server so it works right
with this database? This server is dedicated to this project so there is no
problem with other databases.

4. Is the sort order related to case sensitivity and character sets? I
thought for sure he said to set SQL Server to case and accent insensitive,
character set ISO multilingual and thought that is what I did. Is there a
way I can tell just what my current setting are on the server as I have it
currently configured?

Thanks for any advice, answers or pointers on where to look for advice and
answers.

Rick Haslip
(definitely SQL Server challenged but too damn stubborn to give up)

****************
Remove .spamfree from my e-mail address to respond.
Visit me at http://www.magma.ca/~racefan/.
****************

2. Accessing a SQL DB from the web - ID's

3. VB & DTS package - custom server & package name

4. SQL*Server 7/restoring a database into different sort order/take 2

5. Correct Syntax for a Insert statement

6. SQL*Server 7/restoring a database into different sort order

7. ADO: prompt for connection string using DataLinks

8. Sort Order ID 42

9. Restore a database with different sort order

10. Restore to new server with different sort order

11. RESTORING TO SQL SERVER 7 : DIFFERENT SORT ID's

12. Restore to new server with different sort order