Custom SortOrder - How to create the definition file?

Custom SortOrder - How to create the definition file?

Post by Witayaw WANNAPONGSA » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi everyone,
I need to make the SQL Server sort the query result correctly according to
my language (Thai) but the available sort order of SQL Server does not do
it.  I see some note about custom sortorder and the definition file.   But I
don't know how to create the definition file and how it actually works.
So, does anyone know  about it or can point me to where I can read  more?
Or any other solution is very welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Witaya  WANNAPONGSAI

Custom SortOrder - How to create the definition file?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Witayaw,

I'd start with pursuing MS if there is a sort order available (perhaps
you've done that already...).

I haven't seen any doc's on developing your own sort order, but if you have
a look at an installed SQL Server, \mssql\charsets, you'll find all text
files that implements the default sort orders. The files are on the install
CD as well, but they are easier found and chategorized in an installation.

Beware, though. Here's a quote from MS's SQL Developers Guide.
<begin quote>
Custom Sort Orders
SQL Server provides a mechanism that allows Microsoft to incrementally add
new sort orders after the product had been released. This feature is
exposed in the Setup program as a custom sort order. When selecting a
custom sort order, the Setup program prompts the user for a sort order
file.
As of July 1997, there are currently no custom sort orders available from
Microsoft, so it is unlikely that you will use this option in version 6.5.
It is possible to create user-defined sort orders using this capability;
however, this is unsupported and can complicate an upgrade to a future
version of Microsoft SQL Server.
<end quote>
--

MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
Cornerstone Sweden AB

Post by Paul Hasting » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Hi everyone,
>I need to make the SQL Server sort the query result correctly according to
>my language (Thai) but the available sort order of SQL Server does not do

if its people you're dealing with, we worked around this by creating
another field that held a semi-soundex(?) made up of first & last
names (if you are familiar with the dept of local administration's
municipality id, its similar to that based on first & *then* last name).
this will get you thru *most* thai names though we still run into some
strange stuff once in a while). let me know if you need more details.

1. Custom SortOrder - How to create the definition file?

Hi everyone,
I need to make the SQL Server sort the query result correctly according to
my language (Thai) but the available sort order of SQL Server does not do
it.  I see some note about custom sort order and the definition file.   But
I don't know how to create the definition file and how it actually works.
So, does anyone know  about it or can point me to where I can read  more?
Or any other solution is very welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Witaya  WANNAPONGSAI

2. C4gl complier error

3. Custom SortOrder - How to create the definition file for it ?

4. Using a DBCombobox

5. VFP Creating Label definition files

7. How to create a custom txt file in DTS to migrate data

8. IDE raid cards

9. Creating a custom error log file

10. Custom Sort Order Definitions

11. creating table definitions in SQL from access

12. Create and Distribute Cube Definitions