Monitoring of remote SQL Server using Perfmon

Monitoring of remote SQL Server using Perfmon

Post by T K » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:31:58

I'm using Perfmon to monitor a number of things for our server application
where applications and services can be run locally or remotely.  When
everything is local, Perfmon runs great.  It even runs fine when I use
Process counters for any remote services.  However, as soon as I add a
remote monitor using a SQL Server counter, such as \\Remote Box\SQL
Server:General Statistics\User Connections, Perfmon gets extremely sluggish
in its response and redrawing.  Changing the Update Interval for the
counters to something like 30 seconds does not make any difference.
Removing the counter also does not return Perfmon back to its prior
performance.  The only way to get PerfMon to return to "normal" is to exit
and restart it.

Any ideas on what might be going on here?  I do use Memory, Process and
Processor remote counters and haven't seen the same behavior.  So far, its
just been showing up when I try to use the built-in SQL Server counters
against a remote machine.  Thanks for your help.

Tom Klempay

1. Remote Perfmon setup? (Win2K Server, SQL 7.0)

(Win2k Server) I have been looking everywhere and I cannot find out what
needs to be setup for Perfmon to monitor SQL Server on another Win2K Server
machine.  Any pertinent pointers or directions would be much appreciated!

--
Address protection:  to reply by email directly, please apply "rot13"
decryption to the address and then remove the fruit from the address.  I

2. FOXPRO and STANDART driver

3. multi-line messages

4. Using PerfMon on remote instance

5. Insert pictures into oracle database

6. Monitor SQL Server Memory Usage Using NT Performance Monitor

7. ORACLE DBAs, Richmond, VA

8. connecting to a remote server using vb+sql server using ADO

9. Remote monitoring of SQL Server with WhatsUp Gold.

10. Can't monitor remote SQL server with alert trace

11. Using DB2 Connect PE Control Center to monitor performance of remotes