ERWin alternatives?

Post by charlie5.. » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

are there any good alternatives to ERWin?
i'm demoing embarcadero's erstudio, don't care for it, and it's very
expensive.

the main thing i need is for developers to be able to create a database
model and for the tool to synchronize the model with the database.

is there any way to let developers use the sql server diagram editor
without giving them the ability to create and/or modify database
objects?

ERWin works fine for me, but i don't care to use a tool that is on its
way out.

charlie

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ERWin alternatives?

Post by Jason Kwa » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

May be you should consider ER/Studio from Embarcadero.
I am doing an evaluation of it and so far without complain.

Jason Kwan

Quote:> are there any good alternatives to ERWin?
> i'm demoing embarcadero's erstudio, don't care for it, and it's very
> expensive.

> the main thing i need is for developers to be able to create a database
> model and for the tool to synchronize the model with the database.

> is there any way to let developers use the sql server diagram editor
> without giving them the ability to create and/or modify database
> objects?

> ERWin works fine for me, but i don't care to use a tool that is on its
> way out.

> charlie

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

ERWin alternatives?

Post by Doo » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Embarcadero makes gret products and provide OUTSTANDING support.

--
Doo
Senior Data Architect / DBA

> May be you should consider ER/Studio from Embarcadero.
> I am doing an evaluation of it and so far without complain.

> Jason Kwan

> > are there any good alternatives to ERWin?
> > i'm demoing embarcadero's erstudio, don't care for it, and it's very
> > expensive.

> > the main thing i need is for developers to be able to create a database
> > model and for the tool to synchronize the model with the database.

> > is there any way to let developers use the sql server diagram editor
> > without giving them the ability to create and/or modify database
> > objects?

> > ERWin works fine for me, but i don't care to use a tool that is on its
> > way out.

> > charlie

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

ERWin alternatives?

Post by Brian Mora » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

You should absolutely take a look at the Visio Enterprise Edition from MS.
It's cheaper than Erwin and is FREE if you already have a MSDN Universal
Subscription...

--
Brian Moran
CrossTier.com

Quote:> are there any good alternatives to ERWin?
> i'm demoing embarcadero's erstudio, don't care for it, and it's very
> expensive.

> the main thing i need is for developers to be able to create a database
> model and for the tool to synchronize the model with the database.

> is there any way to let developers use the sql server diagram editor
> without giving them the ability to create and/or modify database
> objects?

> ERWin works fine for me, but i don't care to use a tool that is on its
> way out.

> charlie

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

ERWin alternatives?

Post by Carl » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 12:24:58

Check out PowerDesigner by Sybase.  I believe the "lightest" version will do
what you need (physical models).  I checked out ERStudio as well, and did
not care for ddl scripts it produced.

Carl

Quote:> are there any good alternatives to ERWin?
> i'm demoing embarcadero's erstudio, don't care for it, and it's very
> expensive.

> the main thing i need is for developers to be able to create a database
> model and for the tool to synchronize the model with the database.

> is there any way to let developers use the sql server diagram editor
> without giving them the ability to create and/or modify database
> objects?

> ERWin works fine for me, but i don't care to use a tool that is on its
> way out.

> charlie

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

ERWin alternatives?

Post by charlie5.. » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Check out PowerDesigner by Sybase.  I believe the "lightest" version
will do
> what you need (physical models).  I checked out ERStudio as well, and
did
> not care for ddl scripts it produced.

i came to the same conclusion.  erstudio did a whole ton of stuff just
to make one simple change to the db (like adding a foreign key).  erwin
does the same thing in one statement.