Conversion of Alpha SQL 6.5 to Intel SQL 7.0

Conversion of Alpha SQL 6.5 to Intel SQL 7.0

Post by Sheila O'Conne » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 03:16:19

Hi,

I have a client who needs to convert a SQL 6.5 database from an Alpha
box to an Intel box and upgrade to SQL 7. I figured the best way would
be to do it in a two step process: 1. Convert from Alpha SQL 6.5 to
Intel SQL 6.5, and then, 2. Convert from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.

The problem is getting the data off the Alpha box. The client says
they have tried numerous things but get errors - they don't have a
record of exactly what. I would think the Database/Object Transfer in
SQL 6.5 should work, even if it's slow and loses the logins. But would
the DTS in SQL 7 be better (I assume we'd have to upgrade to SQL 7 on
the Alpha first)? Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
Sheila C. O'Connell

Conversion of Alpha SQL 6.5 to Intel SQL 7.0

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 06:39:36

Sheila - in theory DTS on 7.0 should connect to an alpha 6.5 ok, but I've never
tried it.  But then it really won't be any faster than the 6.5 extraction
tools.

If time is the issue then they could do the alpha to i386 migration, then run
with that for a week, before doing the upgrade to 7.0/2000.

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com