Best way to copy database...

Post by Hunte » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 22:26:04

I would like to make a copy of a database for a product we wish to sell..
(web application)

What is the best way to copy the master SQLSERVER database to a cd or
another machine?

Is it better to write a function that creates the database from scratch?
That will take a long time since the DB has over 50 tables with many default
values, etc.

Thanks for any help,
-Hunter

Best way to copy database...

Post by Anith Se » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 22:38:08

You can create the scripts for your database and make them
execute in the taget machine. 50 tables with defaults will not
take too much time unless you are dumping tons of data into them.

Coming to your requirements, are you planning to create this
database on the client machines? (I could be wrong, but if it is
a web application why do you need to ship your database?).

- Anith

Quote:> I would like to make a copy of a database for a product we wish to sell..
> (web application)

> What is the best way to copy the master SQLSERVER database to a cd or
> another machine?

> Is it better to write a function that creates the database from scratch?
> That will take a long time since the DB has over 50 tables with many
default
> values, etc.

> Thanks for any help,
> -Hunter

Best way to copy database...

Post by Hunte » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:37:38

Anith,

The product we are selling is a "boxed" intranet type application for use on
client servers within their own network..

By the way, do you have any reference sites for SQL syntax when creating the
database.. (datatype, Defaults, keys, etc.)
(ASP.NET application)

Thanks,
-Hunter

> You can create the scripts for your database and make them
> execute in the taget machine. 50 tables with defaults will not
> take too much time unless you are dumping tons of data into them.

> Coming to your requirements, are you planning to create this
> database on the client machines? (I could be wrong, but if it is
> a web application why do you need to ship your database?).

> - Anith

> > I would like to make a copy of a database for a product we wish to
sell..
> > (web application)

> > What is the best way to copy the master SQLSERVER database to a cd or
> > another machine?

> > Is it better to write a function that creates the database from scratch?
> > That will take a long time since the DB has over 50 tables with many
> default
> > values, etc.

> > Thanks for any help,
> > -Hunter

Best way to copy database...

Post by Anith Se » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:52:42

SQL Server Books Online should give you all the syntax for
your requirements. You can also take a look at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/psdk/sql/t...
on_6lyk.htm

Good luck on your product :-)
- Anith

> Anith,

> The product we are selling is a "boxed" intranet type application for use
on
> client servers within their own network..

> By the way, do you have any reference sites for SQL syntax when creating
the
> database.. (datatype, Defaults, keys, etc.)
> (ASP.NET application)

> Thanks,
> -Hunter

> > You can create the scripts for your database and make them
> > execute in the taget machine. 50 tables with defaults will not
> > take too much time unless you are dumping tons of data into them.

> > Coming to your requirements, are you planning to create this
> > database on the client machines? (I could be wrong, but if it is
> > a web application why do you need to ship your database?).

> > - Anith

> > > I would like to make a copy of a database for a product we wish to
> sell..
> > > (web application)

> > > What is the best way to copy the master SQLSERVER database to a cd or
> > > another machine?

> > > Is it better to write a function that creates the database from
scratch?
> > > That will take a long time since the DB has over 50 tables with many
> > default
> > > values, etc.

> > > Thanks for any help,
> > > -Hunter

Best way to copy database...

Post by Rashmi [M » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 03:16:29

In Enterprise Manager have your database selected, then go to Tools Menu,
choose Generate SQL Scripts.  This lets you generated scripts for all
objects in the database . You can send this script along with the
application that you are going to send out.

Regards,

            Rashmi