Text is trunctated and don't know why.

Post by Matthew Ma » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 06:43:42

In SQL server 7.0, I have a column that is nvarchar(2000).

I have text in this field that is about 368 characters long.

Only 256 characters display in query analyzer. I first noticed this
problem in a report I created using Crystal Reports, then thinking it
was a problem with Crystal. But while doing my research, I noticed
this similar behavior in the query analyzer.

Does anyone know if there is a setting that must be tweaked or what?

Text is trunctated and don't know why.

Post by Tobin Harri » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:20:46

I've noticed this also, and I think it is that the Query Analyser truncates
the *output*. Dont quite get what is going on in Crystal reports though,
that should show all your data. A quick thing to try is to link up using MS
Access, and seeing if that will show the data without truncation, it
normally shows it ok. Also, try:

    SELECT MAX( LEN( myTextCol ) ) FROM aTable

This should tell you if data is being truncated.

Incidentally, I've also noticed that if you do a CAST( afield AS VARCHAR),
the default length is 256, so data gets truncated there.

Tobin

Quote:> In SQL server 7.0, I have a column that is nvarchar(2000).

> I have text in this field that is about 368 characters long.

> Only 256 characters display in query analyzer. I first noticed this
> problem in a report I created using Crystal Reports, then thinking it
> was a problem with Crystal. But while doing my research, I noticed
> this similar behavior in the query analyzer.

> Does anyone know if there is a setting that must be tweaked or what?

Text is trunctated and don't know why.

Post by Luc » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:57:48

QA has a default max. textsize limit of 256. To change this go to
Tools/Options and select tab 'Results' and change 'Maximum characters per
column' (max 8192).

> I've noticed this also, and I think it is that the Query Analyser
truncates
> the *output*. Dont quite get what is going on in Crystal reports though,
> that should show all your data. A quick thing to try is to link up using
MS
> Access, and seeing if that will show the data without truncation, it
> normally shows it ok. Also, try:

>     SELECT MAX( LEN( myTextCol ) ) FROM aTable

> This should tell you if data is being truncated.

> Incidentally, I've also noticed that if you do a CAST( afield AS VARCHAR),
> the default length is 256, so data gets truncated there.

> Tobin

> > In SQL server 7.0, I have a column that is nvarchar(2000).

> > I have text in this field that is about 368 characters long.

> > Only 256 characters display in query analyzer. I first noticed this
> > problem in a report I created using Crystal Reports, then thinking it
> > was a problem with Crystal. But while doing my research, I noticed
> > this similar behavior in the query analyzer.

> > Does anyone know if there is a setting that must be tweaked or what?

Text is trunctated and don't know why.

Post by bobb » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 18:55:03

Isn't it a pseudo - truncate due to ISQL Settings?

Did you try to go to Menu -> Query -> Current Connection Options ->
Advanced -> Maximum characters per column. There is the 256 default
settings for data display in ISQL Results window. Set this to more...

About Crystal Reports.. I had the same problem: data being truncated
at display only even if inside database I had the right text.

--hope it helps

> QA has a default max. textsize limit of 256. To change this go to
> Tools/Options and select tab 'Results' and change 'Maximum characters per
> column' (max 8192).

> > I've noticed this also, and I think it is that the Query Analyser
>  truncates
> > the *output*. Dont quite get what is going on in Crystal reports though,
> > that should show all your data. A quick thing to try is to link up using
>  MS
> > Access, and seeing if that will show the data without truncation, it
> > normally shows it ok. Also, try:

> >     SELECT MAX( LEN( myTextCol ) ) FROM aTable

> > This should tell you if data is being truncated.

> > Incidentally, I've also noticed that if you do a CAST( afield AS VARCHAR),
> > the default length is 256, so data gets truncated there.

> > Tobin

> > > In SQL server 7.0, I have a column that is nvarchar(2000).

> > > I have text in this field that is about 368 characters long.

> > > Only 256 characters display in query analyzer. I first noticed this
> > > problem in a report I created using Crystal Reports, then thinking it
> > > was a problem with Crystal. But while doing my research, I noticed
> > > this similar behavior in the query analyzer.

> > > Does anyone know if there is a setting that must be tweaked or what?

Text is trunctated and don't know why.

Post by Luc » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 02:40:05

Note that ISQL is a different cmdline version (in 7.0). ISQLW is the 7.0 GUI
tool and the equivalent in 8.0 is QA (but executable is still isqlw.exe for
compatiblity reasons).

Regarding crystal reports I remember that you can set properties for max.
display characters. Maybe this has the same default. Double-click on the
field and check settings.

> Isn't it a pseudo - truncate due to ISQL Settings?

> Did you try to go to Menu -> Query -> Current Connection Options ->
> Advanced -> Maximum characters per column. There is the 256 default
> settings for data display in ISQL Results window. Set this to more...

> About Crystal Reports.. I had the same problem: data being truncated
> at display only even if inside database I had the right text.

> --hope it helps

> > QA has a default max. textsize limit of 256. To change this go to
> > Tools/Options and select tab 'Results' and change 'Maximum characters
per
> > column' (max 8192).

> > > I've noticed this also, and I think it is that the Query Analyser
> >  truncates
> > > the *output*. Dont quite get what is going on in Crystal reports
though,
> > > that should show all your data. A quick thing to try is to link up
using
> >  MS
> > > Access, and seeing if that will show the data without truncation, it
> > > normally shows it ok. Also, try:

> > >     SELECT MAX( LEN( myTextCol ) ) FROM aTable

> > > This should tell you if data is being truncated.

> > > Incidentally, I've also noticed that if you do a CAST( afield AS
VARCHAR),
> > > the default length is 256, so data gets truncated there.

> > > Tobin

1. Oninit didn't work fine and I don't know why

 Hi all !

 I have an Informix 7.31 UC2 with a HP-UX 10.20 and we work with Baan
 Triton 3.10_a1

 Yesterday afternoon I changed the SHMVIRTSIZE parameter to 200000 (we had
 190000 before).

 When I tried to initialize Informix with 'oninit'. With 'onstat -' I want
 to see when Informix was ready to work with the message 'On-Line". It
 didn't appear me.
 After an eternal 5 minutes Informix auto-killed itself. Then I made an
 'onmode -ky' because it didn't run ok but it was executing something that
 I couldn't see in the machine.

 I restored the SHMVIRTSIZE parameter and tried to initialize Informix
 again. It ran ok. But I wasn't happy. I thought that the parameter could
 not be because in a previous version we have this parameter set to 240000.
 I go down Informix, changed again the parameter to 200000, and this time
 the 'oninit' worked fine. Then I initialize the Baan application and all
 is running ok.

 Could someone tell me what's wrong the first time that I tried to
 initialize Informix?

 Thaks in advance and sorry because my English is very very bad.

 DJMoralesM

2. VB interface to mSQL

3. SQL server name has been changed and don't know why

4. VFP Editbox enhancement

5. I don't know why, do you????????????????/

6. SQL Statement Cache in 9.21.UC2 - Good idea?

7. Database properties settings changed back to default settings and I don't know why

8. Anyone with DB.h++ experience ???

9. ADO Error! Don't know why

10. New Request - I don't know why it is tricky

11. Subroutine not cataloged error, and I don't know why

12. Page fault and don't know why

13. About Foxpro (Don't know why?)