SQL 7 question

Post by Tony Schla » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 07:00:27

We are planning to add new hardware and upgrade to Win 2000.  Currnetyl SQL7
is installed on NT4.   After the upgrade we will reinstall SQL7 and not
upgrade to 2000.  What is the simplest way to pull the information off and
preform then restore the information.

Tony Schlak

SQL 7 question

Post by Dinesh T » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 07:08:21

Tony,

Before uninstall that you should  backup  all user databases and system
databases like
master(which has login and other server wide info), msdb(if you have DTS
packages and jobs).
Bcoz once you unistall sql7 all the databases would also be dropped.There
would be no coming back.

Also , the other option would be to detach the databases and attach them
after the install.This is fastest but dont rely on it only and have a
combination of backups too.

After reinstalling SQL7, restore the system databases followed by either
attach or restore of user databases.

Check these KB articles :
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;q224071

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/deployment/70/default.asp

For restoring Logins & Passwords
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q246/1/33.ASP

For mapping Logins & SIDs after a Restore
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q298/8/97.ASP

Dinesh.

Quote:> We are planning to add new hardware and upgrade to Win 2000.  Currnetyl
SQL7
> is installed on NT4.   After the upgrade we will reinstall SQL7 and not
> upgrade to 2000.  What is the simplest way to pull the information off and
> preform then restore the information.

> Tony Schlak

1. SQL Query question and unload db question

Hello,

I've already accomplished part of what I need to do by going three
sides around the barn, but wondered if there was an easier way.

What I wanted was just a list of the table names in a db.

To do that, I ran help tables *.t*, which, of course, got me _all_ the
information about each table, then did a search, cut and paste routine
on all that to get just the table names into a concise list.

Is there some syntax I missed someplace, or a query routine that would
produce just the table names in a db? What would have really been
peachy, is a routine that would have pulled out only those table names
ending in 000, 110, or 700. The table name format is something like
ttccom010110.

Second part is a question about unloaddb. We're moving a 2.0/8125
install to 2.5/whatever install. The tools that come with the front end
app are apparently Baan tools (the app was originally written in that,
several generations ago).

The typical instructions call for running a bdbpre command line routine
against the aforementioned table list, which creates a delimited file
suitable for doing a bdbpost back into the new install tables.

Are there any problems in moving directly from 2.0 to 2.5? And, is
there anything special or or more preferable about using the
unloaddb/loaddb command line arguments?

Many thanks and for those celebrating Memorial Day, hope it was good
for you.

Regards,

Mike Ossing
Rodem, Inc.
Cincinnati, OH
513-922-6140

2. Crystal Reports and Oracle 8

3. SQL Plus PL/SQL Syntax Question

4. Help with merging tables

5. SQL Server Question from Access SQL User

6. SP parameter.....

7. SQL delete question (ULTRIX/SQL, INGRES 6.?)

8. Slow Response to VB Program

9. ms-sql sql question, isnull function

10. SQL/SQL*Plus Question

11. SQL 7.0 and SQL 2000 question