SQL Server on Win XP Pro

Post by Prasad Biju » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:26:54

Hi,

I am trying to install SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Windows XP
Professional from a MSDN CD I received a long time back. It says the
operating system is not supported for installation. Does this mean that SQL
2000 is not supported on XP? Any idea how to counter this?

Regards,
Prasad

SQL Server on Win XP Pro

Post by Allan Mitchel » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:36:36

No it means that the version (edition) of SQL Server you have is not
supported on the OS version you are trying to install it on.

It is listed in BOL under

Operating Systems Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2000

--

Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
MCSE,MCDBA

Quote:> Hi,

> I am trying to install SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Windows XP
> Professional from a MSDN CD I received a long time back. It says the
> operating system is not supported for installation. Does this mean that
SQL
> 2000 is not supported on XP? Any idea how to counter this?

> Regards,
> Prasad

SQL Server on Win XP Pro

Post by BP Margoli » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 00:25:34

Prasad,

If you have MSDN, you might also have a CD for the Developer Edition of SQL
Server 2000, which I believe will install under Win XP Pro.

If you don't have the CD for the Developer Edition, you might consider
downloading the 120-day Evaluation Edition of SQL Server 2000 from:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.asp

If you do go the Evaluation Edition route, just note the following:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315518

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> Hi,

> I am trying to install SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Windows XP
> Professional from a MSDN CD I received a long time back. It says the
> operating system is not supported for installation. Does this mean that
SQL
> 2000 is not supported on XP? Any idea how to counter this?

> Regards,
> Prasad

SQL Server on Win XP Pro

Post by hyZW » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 10:24:55

sql2k home edition can be installed on the XP pro

SQL Server on Win XP Pro

Post by BP Margoli » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 01:37:24

SQL Server does not have a "home" edition.

Perhaps you meant the "personal" edition.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> sql2k home edition can be installed on the XP pro

1. login as administrator sql server 7 / win xp pro

Ive just started using SQL7.

i have a .bak file that needs restoring.

i login into win xp with my user/pwd (as comp. admin.)
then i startup SQL7 and try to right click on database,
restore database, check force retore over the newly
created database, locate .bak file, then i click OK and
get an error 'must be logged in as sa to perform this
operation' when i installed SQL7 i set a usr/pwd.

so how do i login as sa???

thanks for reading

2. Query Optimizer

3. SQL Server on Win XP Pro notebook?

4. PC Express

5. Problems installing SQL Server 2000 on Win XP Pro

6. Password Generation

7. ms sql server 7 on win xp pro

8. Memory of user process on Solaris (pmap)

9. sql server 2000 on win xp pro

10. SQL server 2000 set up on win xp pro

11. SQL Server Expert Urgently Needed For Win XP Pro advice

12. MS SQL Server 7.0 and Win XP Pro?

13. SQL Server 200 Desktop Engine on Win XP Pro