Problem with restore...

Post by vanni » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:37:03

Hi, i want to do a restore database but when i tried to do it, the following SQL-
DMO message is shown:

"The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a different sort
order id (52) that the one currently on this server (32) and at least one of them
is a non_binary sort order".

The backup is from a Win2000 server and i want to restore the database in a win98
workststation running a sql server 7.0 db.

What is wrong here?

Thanks in advance

Vannia

Problem with restore...

Post by Michael Brickle » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:58:31

Can not be done.   You can not restore a newer version to an older version.

You have an option to try of copying the .mdf and .ldf to the sql7 version
and use sp_attach_db.

Hi, i want to do a restore database but when i tried to do it, the following
SQL-
DMO message is shown:

"The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a different
sort
order id (52) that the one currently on this server (32) and at least one of
them
is a non_binary sort order".

The backup is from a Win2000 server and i want to restore the database in a
win98
workststation running a sql server 7.0 db.

What is wrong here?

Thanks in advance

Vannia

Problem with restore...

Post by Kalen Delane » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:19:13

No, just as you say you cannot restore a newer version to an older version,
you cannot a newer version to an older version. The file format has changed
slightly, and a SQL 7 server will not recognize the new format.

HTH
-------------------------------------
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
www.InsideSQLServer.com

Feed Someone for Free Today!
www.thehungersite.com

> Can not be done.   You can not restore a newer version to an older
version.

> You have an option to try of copying the .mdf and .ldf to the sql7 version
> and use sp_attach_db.

> Hi, i want to do a restore database but when i tried to do it, the
following
> SQL-
> DMO message is shown:

> "The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a
different
> sort
> order id (52) that the one currently on this server (32) and at least one
of
> them
> is a non_binary sort order".

> The backup is from a Win2000 server and i want to restore the database in
> win98
> workststation running a sql server 7.0 db.

> What is wrong here?

> Thanks in advance

> Vannia

Problem with restore...

Post by vanni » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:42:35

Thanks!, but i don't know... the problem is the OS version? Both Win2000 and
Win98 PCs run SqlServer 7.0... I could restore db in another win98 pc, but i
can't unserstand why sqlserver shows me that error in this machine... what
does "sort order id" mean?
No, just as you say you cannot restore a newer version to an older version,
you cannot a newer version to an older version. The file format has changed
slightly, and a SQL 7 server will not recognize the new format.

HTH
-------------------------------------
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
www.InsideSQLServer.com

Feed Someone for Free Today!
www.thehungersite.com

> Can not be done.   You can not restore a newer version to an older
version.

> You have an option to try of copying the .mdf and .ldf to the sql7 version
> and use sp_attach_db.

> Hi, i want to do a restore database but when i tried to do it, the
following
> SQL-
> DMO message is shown:

> "The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a
different
> sort
> order id (52) that the one currently on this server (32) and at least one
of
> them
> is a non_binary sort order".

> The backup is from a Win2000 server and i want to restore the database in
> win98
> workststation running a sql server 7.0 db.

> What is wrong here?

> Thanks in advance

> Vannia

.

Problem with restore...

Post by jong » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:40:50

vannia,

There really is no problem, actually it is just the installation of your SQL
that is different from the other one.

The default setting of SQL 7 is sort order id 52.  When you backed up your
data, that SQL installation has a sort order id of 32 (meaning, when SQL was
installed, the installer did not use the default values).

Try this, uninstall your SQL from the computer and reinstall it.  On the
Collations Settings screen, select the appropriate value
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/sql/in_collation_3oa6.htm) from this
page.  I guess you have to install it with this value: Dictionary order,
case-insensitive, for use with the 437 (U.S. English) character set (sort
order id 32)

I hope this helps
Jong

Thanks!, but i don't know... the problem is the OS version? Both Win2000 and
Win98 PCs run SqlServer 7.0... I could restore db in another win98 pc, but i
can't unserstand why sqlserver shows me that error in this machine... what
does "sort order id" mean?

No, just as you say you cannot restore a newer version to an older version,
you cannot a newer version to an older version. The file format has changed
slightly, and a SQL 7 server will not recognize the new format.

HTH
-------------------------------------
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
www.InsideSQLServer.com

Feed Someone for Free Today!
www.thehungersite.com

> Can not be done.   You can not restore a newer version to an older
version.

> You have an option to try of copying the .mdf and .ldf to the sql7 version
> and use sp_attach_db.

> Hi, i want to do a restore database but when i tried to do it, the
following
> SQL-
> DMO message is shown:

> "The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a
different
> sort
> order id (52) that the one currently on this server (32) and at least one
of
> them
> is a non_binary sort order".

> The backup is from a Win2000 server and i want to restore the database in
> win98
> workststation running a sql server 7.0 db.

> What is wrong here?

> Thanks in advance

> Vannia

.

Problem with restore...

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:24:43

Vannia,

I believe that Michael mistook your*message for going from SQL Server 2000 to SQL
Server 7.0, and Kalen picked up on that.
Going between versions of OS is not problem. See Jong's message...

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.veryComputer.com/

Thanks!, but i don't know... the problem is the OS version? Both Win2000 and
Win98 PCs run SqlServer 7.0... I could restore db in another win98 pc, but i
can't unserstand why sqlserver shows me that error in this machine... what
does "sort order id" mean?

No, just as you say you cannot restore a newer version to an older version,
you cannot a newer version to an older version. The file format has changed
slightly, and a SQL 7 server will not recognize the new format.

HTH
-------------------------------------
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
www.InsideSQLServer.com

Feed Someone for Free Today!
www.thehungersite.com

> Can not be done.   You can not restore a newer version to an older
version.

> You have an option to try of copying the .mdf and .ldf to the sql7 version
> and use sp_attach_db.

> Hi, i want to do a restore database but when i tried to do it, the
following
> SQL-
> DMO message is shown:

> "The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a
different
> sort
> order id (52) that the one currently on this server (32) and at least one
of
> them
> is a non_binary sort order".

> The backup is from a Win2000 server and i want to restore the database in
> win98
> workststation running a sql server 7.0 db.

> What is wrong here?

> Thanks in advance

> Vannia

.

Problem with restore...

Post by tordne » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:21:45

Basically uninstall SQL Server from the Win98 box, Reinstall using custom
install option, pick sort order 32.  This will allow you to restore to this
box.

good luck
tordner

Hi, i want to do a restore database but when i tried to do it, the following
SQL-
DMO message is shown:

"The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a different
sort
order id (52) that the one currently on this server (32) and at least one of
them
is a non_binary sort order".

The backup is from a Win2000 server and i want to restore the database in a
win98
workststation running a sql server 7.0 db.

What is wrong here?

Thanks in advance

Vannia

1. Problem with Restore Table and Restore Database

My Restore problem is with a SQL 6.5 Server.  I am trying to restore one
table back into a database.  The restore start correctly but then a Error
message pops up and says "The table TableName cannot be restored because
it contains text or image Columns."  Why can't I restore a table with text
or image columns?  How can I restore a table with text or image columns?
Then I said well this is a small database 190 Mb.  Why not create another
database on same server and restore the whole database.  Created small
database 500 Mb just to be safe.  Then try to restore and message pops up
"[SQL SERVER] data on dump will not fit into current database.  Needs 3152
mbte database."  This is more than ten times the size of the current
database.
Why do I need such a database?  Can I restore the whole database without
needing this much space?  My server doesn't have 3 gigabytes left to
allocate
for this database.

Thanks,

Marty

2. (PDXJOBS) QA Test Lead

3. Service Pack 5 Problem - Backup/Restore Problem

4. Times and dates in Oracle

5. SP5 Problem - Backup/Restore problem

6. HELP:A Question about TSocket componet!

7. problem when restoring a database on another server

8. Help With Database Recovery

9. HELP: Unicode problems while Restoring from Backup

10. Problems with Restoring a Database using EM

11. HEEEEEEEELLPPPPP - Problems with Restore Backup - Family Sets

12. Full-Text problem on restored database.

13. Problem using restored database