Preventing Search Engines from Indexing Contents of DropDown Menu

Preventing Search Engines from Indexing Contents of DropDown Menu

Post by Lind » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 01:22:51

Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help!  I've got about 100 pages that are being
dynamically created from a SQL database.  All of the pages feature a
dropdown
menu for navigation.  I'm using the ATOMz free search engine and it
insists on indexing the content in those dropdowns.  Thus, for
instance, if there's something in the dropdown that says "Product
Support" and you do a search on our site for product support, you'll
get EVERY page as a match.

Question is:  Is there some handy-dandy way of getting the search
engine to ignore the content in my dropdown menu?

Many thanks!

Linda

1. Configuring MS Search Engine or Full Text Indexing

If the answer to the below is already posted... please point me to the
posting.

Inside a table, I need to store text in RTF(Rich Text Format) and take
advantage of full text indexing. I would like the search engine to use
the "\" character as a delimiter in the same manner as it uses the
"."character.  For example, if you have a column that is using Full
Text Indexing in SQL Server 2000 and the string in said column is
"Rich Text.", when you do a search using the string "Rich Text" you
will get a hit for the EXACT word search.  The search engine knows
that the period is not part of the last word.  Now, if I want to store
the data in RTF it looks something like this "\ul\b rich
text\ulnone\b0", if you search the field using the string "Rich Text"
you will NOT get a hit on the EXACT phrase "rich text" unless you
include the wild card "*" on the end of the search string.  Finally my
question.  Does anybody know how to configure the search engine or
full text indexing so that the "\" character will be used the same way
as a white space or the "." character?

I appreciate any helpful responses.

JB

2. ADODC and Like query

3. Index type Search Engine on SQL Server

4. Q: userdefined headertext in TDBGrid

5. Configuring MS Search Engine or Full Text Indexing

6. Object Browser

7. ODBC connection fails intermittently

8. Changing cell content from dropdown only for grid

9. Changing True DBgrid cell contents from dropdown only

10. ValueStream Chinese Search Engine, great for indexing Chinese Oracle Databases

11. Configuring MS Search Engine or Full Text Indexing

12. lage set intersecting (was: search engine text indexing?)