DB roles, NT groups and PERMISSIONS

Post by Dave West » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:00:34

I've been using the PERMISSIONS function in SQL Server 7 to check to
see if the current user is allowed to perform a certain function in
the database.

This works correctly for permissions assigned to the public role, and
it works if the NT user is assigned to any other role (which has
permission to perform the required function) directly.  However, it
doesn't work if the NT user is a member of a group which is assigned
to a role other than public.

eg.
   DB role 'viewers' has access to SP 'get_stuff'
     DOMAIN\Joe member of 'viewers'
         -> PERMISSIONS() = 32
     DOMAIN\Betty member of 'DOMAIN\All Users' member of 'viewers'
         -> PERMISSIONS() = 0      However, she CAN access it...

So, this has been pretty frustrating lately...  If anyone has any
ideas of what I'm doing wrong, or a different way of doing it, I would
be interested. :)

Thanks in advance,
-Dave

DB roles, NT groups and PERMISSIONS

Post by Jun Chen[M » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:04:56

Hi,

You can deny the access for the user, so that even the role have the
permission, the user still cannot access to it.

Jun Chen

1. Getting Role and Permissions from DB

Hi Guys,

  We have to many times create/drop/modify the tables in our db,as still db
changes
  are going thru. But whenever this happens the permissions are lost on
certain roles.

 Also soon we may have to move the db to a new server for testing for
QA's.But this
 time I wanted that we don't have to go thru the same pain and loose two
days to again figure out
 what objects lost the permissions in certain roles.

Is there any commands that we can use to restore the same privilges whenever
we move to
 another db or do chnages in same db.??

Please let me know

Thanks for any help

Manoj

2. Kiosk mode limitations?

3. application roles and NT groups

4. opening doc's

5. Help - removing NT Admin Group from sa role

6. Spell Checker Utility Available?

7. Help with creating database roles and NT Groups

8. ingres faq which version ??

9. SQL Role and NT User Group

10. setting permissions for NT Groups with Mixed security...

11. NT Aithentication: one group member has no permissions

12. Ideal Performance - Explicit Permissions, or Group Permissions

13. Copy permissions from user/group to different user/group