Setting security in DTS Packages?

Post by David Snyde » Sat, 05 May 2001 09:23:39

Okay, here's my situation...

At work, we've got most of our companies data in COBOL data files which
reside on a SCO Unixware box.  We're able to set-up thess data files as ODBC
data sources using a product called Relativity.  I'm using these ODBC data
sources to import some of our COBOL files into SQL Server using a DTS
Package.  I run these packages on a daily basis to update the data in the
tables.  In the packages, I drop, re-create and import the data.  The
problem is that when I drop the tables and re-create them the public
database role reverts to its default, which isn't what I need it to be.  Is
there a way to set the security on a database and its tables in a DTS
Package?  Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Dave Snyder

Setting security in DTS Packages?

Post by BP Margoli » Sat, 05 May 2001 11:52:27

David,

Instead of dropping and recreating the tables, can you just use an Execute
SQL task to TRUNCATE the data?

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> Okay, here's my situation...

> At work, we've got most of our companies data in COBOL data files which
> reside on a SCO Unixware box.  We're able to set-up thess data files as
ODBC
> data sources using a product called Relativity.  I'm using these ODBC data
> sources to import some of our COBOL files into SQL Server using a DTS
> Package.  I run these packages on a daily basis to update the data in the
> tables.  In the packages, I drop, re-create and import the data.  The
> problem is that when I drop the tables and re-create them the public
> database role reverts to its default, which isn't what I need it to be.
Is
> there a way to set the security on a database and its tables in a DTS
> Package?  Or is there a better way to do this?

> Thanks,
> Dave Snyder

Setting security in DTS Packages?

Post by John Go » Wed, 09 May 2001 07:25:22

David,

I agree w/ BP.  If you can use truncate, it should solve your problem.

John Gose
Microsoft SQL Server Support