SQL6.5 over a 64K ISDN line

Post by Mark Lloy » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Help!

I can get 2 SQL servers to connect/replicate over a LAN, no problem

But when I introduce a 64K Dial Up line they wont talk to each other?!?!?

Windows is ok, I can mount drives etc... But SQL. No connect :-(((((

Mark

SQL6.5 over a 64K ISDN line

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Mark - what net-lib, have you sorted the routing?  The link-speed won't stop
SQL connecting...

Quote:> I can get 2 SQL servers to connect/replicate over a LAN, no problem

> But when I introduce a 64K Dial Up line they wont talk to each other?!?!?

> Windows is ok, I can mount drives etc... But SQL. No connect :-(((((

> Mark

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 For SQL FAQ entries see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

SQL6.5 over a 64K ISDN line

Post by Glen Lesli » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

You need to make sure that you have the same protocols enabled on the dialup
link that you have available over the LAN.  You also must make sure that DNS
(e.g. TCP/IP name resolution) is working as well.  Can you (TCP/IP) ping one
server from the other when the dialup session is established?

What is the default protocol installed on the SQL Servers?  If it's NetBEUI
then you'll have a tough time routing across the dialup line unless the
connections on both sides are considered to be in the same network segment
(e.g. both have a network address of a.b.c.d where a.b.c are in common --
assuming a class C network)

Quote:>Help!

>I can get 2 SQL servers to connect/replicate over a LAN, no problem

>But when I introduce a 64K Dial Up line they wont talk to each other?!?!?

>Windows is ok, I can mount drives etc... But SQL. No connect :-(((((

>Mark

SQL6.5 over a 64K ISDN line

Post by Han ter Braa » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Use ,

static ip adress ,

it will prevent errors in DUN to expose to You

Han

Posted At: dinsdag 14 september 1999 19:17
Posted To: connect
Conversation: SQL6.5 over a 64K ISDN line
Subject: Re: SQL6.5 over a 64K ISDN line

--
assuming a class C network)

>Help!

>I can get 2 SQL servers to connect/replicate over a LAN, no problem

>But when I introduce a 64K Dial Up line they wont talk to each
other?!?!?

>Windows is ok, I can mount drives etc... But SQL. No connect :-(((((

>Mark

1. Performance over 64K lines

Hi.

Our system is running a 2-Tier/VB6/SQL7/ODBC application, the response
time is fine inside the LAN but is very *very* slow for users in other
cities at 64K (no internet, direct)

Each 64K node has 5 to 10 users and the line is also shared with voice
(There are FOUR 64K nodes in total)

My questions are:

1. How much does ODBC affect the performance? (Compared with
DB-Libraries for instance)

2. Do you have a Succesful Story over 64K? Could you share it?

3. What could be the Role of  Terminal Server, can it help? How?

Any idea is welcomed, the project is now in danger, help!!

2. HELP! Clipper 87 SUM statement snail-like performance

3. Discrete Data Replication over 64k lines.

4. SQL Server and Windows XP

5. Networked PDOX7 over 64k leased line..

6. vb chat room

7. Merge replication over ISDN line problems ?

8. TOOTS TO MIGRATE DAO CONTROLS IN A VISUAL BASIC 6.0 APPLICATION TO ADO CONTROLS

9. Merge replication fails through a leased ISDN line!

10. Replication Through a ISDN Modem Line

11. Slow retrival of data over ISDN line

12. Trouble running SQL App over ISDN and 512kb line

13. Replication using ISDN line across two SBS domain servers