SQL Server 2000 slow down in performance

SQL Server 2000 slow down in performance

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:56:53

99% of performance is how the application is written. I suggest that you get a good book on how
to use Access with SQL Server (I'm no expert myself in this area, but things like only fetch the
data you need and not the whole tables etc). And also analyze the slow queries to see if you can
create supporting indexes etc.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Dear Friends

> I have a small network of 24 users with three depatments.
> The data is not huge, I have 2.5 GB ram on the server and
> it Hardly use the 30% of the same.

> But still i get the complaints from the users that the
> acces to the server is slow. We ar using MS-Access as a
> front end.

> Please suggest what is to be done to increase the
> performance.

> Thanks and best regards
> SQLKIDA

SQL Server 2000 slow down in performance

Post by Jacco Schalkwij » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:02:02

Hi,

In this scenario I would put my money on the Access front end causing the
performance problems.
Do you use data projects (in Access 2000 or higher)? That should give a
decent performance, as all the work is done on the server.

But if you have a few SQL statements in Access itself it will pull all the
rows in the table over the network, and process them on the client machine,
and that will hurt performance on any but the smallest tables (say up to 100
rows).

Jacco

Quote:> Dear Friends

> I have a small network of 24 users with three depatments.
> The data is not huge, I have 2.5 GB ram on the server and
> it Hardly use the 30% of the same.

> But still i get the complaints from the users that the
> acces to the server is slow. We ar using MS-Access as a
> front end.

> Please suggest what is to be done to increase the
> performance.

> Thanks and best regards
> SQLKIDA

SQL Server 2000 slow down in performance

Post by Brad Wartma » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 16:12:00

Access does a lot of client-side processing, so I'd look there first.
Rewriting the Access app to use more server-side processing (e.g.
stored procedures & views) will help but the best thing you could do
to increase performance is to rewrite the app in VB.

Quote:>Dear Friends

>I have a small network of 24 users with three depatments.
>The data is not huge, I have 2.5 GB ram on the server and
>it Hardly use the 30% of the same.

>But still i get the complaints from the users that the
>acces to the server is slow. We ar using MS-Access as a
>front end.

>Please suggest what is to be done to increase the
>performance.

>Thanks and best regards
>SQLKIDA

1. SQL 2000 performance slow-down

If you have a single processor machine and the process starts running there
is nothing you can do other than to kill it.  Are these processes optimized
as best they can?

--
Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Targitinteractive, Inc.

Check out the PASS Community Summit - Seattle, the largest and only user
event entirely dedicated to SQL Server, November 19-22.
http://www.sqlpass.org/events/seattle/index.cfm

2. Remove Datafile from database

3. SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager slows down

4. Sybperl connection problem

5. SQL Server 2000 slow down after SP 3 setup

6. xp_regread - reading registry from T-SQL?

7. SQL-Server slows down disk performance

8. Could not create an instant of the DTS package.

9. Slow performance after upgrade to SQL Server 2000

10. ODBC + SQL 2000 Service Pack 3 Slow Down

11. SQL 2000 client toosl slows down Windows 98 client machine

12. ODBC + SQL 2000 Service Pack 3 Slow Down

13. SQL 7 Performance counter sp causes slow down