Connecting to SQL Server 2000 from Oracle versions 7.34 and 8.1.7

Connecting to SQL Server 2000 from Oracle versions 7.34 and 8.1.7

Post by Giles Offe » Sat, 04 May 2002 20:23:17

I am currently in the design phase of programming a CRM Staging solution
and have a problem connecting from Oracle to SQL Server 2000. The basic
scenario is this:

For phase 1 of the project there will be a Siebel database that will
look after customer creation and updating across four business units
with four separate legacy systems (two on Oracle and two on SQL Server).
When a customer record is created/ updated in Siebel it will pass a
record to the staging database which in turn will determine which legacy
system/s need to be updated. A trigger will fire a stored procedure that
will send the data to the chosen legacy system. I have gained
connectivity to all databases using linked servers.

However, while the two SQL Server systems are able to communicate back
to us I cannot seem to find a way of getting Oracle to talk back to SQL
Server. I have installed Oracle drivers which enabled me to get the
linked server connectivity but our Oracle Dba cannot find a way without
purchasing extremely expensive software (transparent gateway) of getting
Oracle to talk back. Apparently Oracle will not release a new version of
the drivers to enable Oracle to talk to SQL Server. I tried creating a
trigger on an Oracle table from SQL Server but this does not work. I am
using the Microsoft OLEDB libraries.

Does anyone out there have any experience of this type of scenario or
any info as I am starting to worry about the feasibility of the project!

Thanks for reading, any responses will be gratefully received.

Giles.

Connecting to SQL Server 2000 from Oracle versions 7.34 and 8.1.7

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Sat, 04 May 2002 23:20:56

AFAIK, you'd need the Oracle gateway to have Oracle talk to
SQL Server. I've worked on some of these types of projects
before and there are usually way to many business rules,
system nuances, other issues, gotchas to be adequately
addressed in a newsgroup thread. It sounds like you are
trying to get this to be "real time" with Siebel as the
entry point and all other systems being kept in sync.
Although there is likely some kind of solution, you may not
be able to do it real time. If you haven't done a lot of
these types of projects before, you may want to look at
hiring a Siebel implementation consultant to help address
the issues.

-Sue

On Fri, 03 May 2002 04:23:17 -0700, Giles Offen