Looking for Varchar work around

Post by Eugen Pava » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

As it is stated to use more than 256 characters you need to use text
columns. If your text is let's say around 256 but bigger than this you may
consider using two varchar columns instead of one.

Quote:>Im using the Web as a front end form to an SQL database.  I've added a
>comments field:
><TEXTAREA TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Comments" ROWS="2" COLS="60">
></TEXTAREA>
>The text area works fine until it exceeds 256 characters.  This is the
>error I receive:
>ODBC Error Code = 22005 (Error in assignment)
>[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Implicit conversion from
>datatype 'text' to
> 'varchar' is not allowed. Use the CONVERT function to run this query.
>I need the ability to exceed 256 characters in SQL.  Does anybody know
>of a work around?

>Thanks in advance
>Jamie

1. Looking for Varchar work around

datatype 'text' to
'>>varchar' is not allowed. Use the CONVERT function to run this query.
a work around?

 I don't know how you connect to SQL Server, but the limit for varchar
columns is 255 and any text longer than that has to be stuffed into a "text"
type column. That's what the above error message already indicates. But
beware: "text" is a) hard to handle and b) horribly slow
-

-
Software Design Engineer - Win32/OLE/C++
-
There's no "impossible". It's just software after all.

2. Hacking PG-fe protocol (long)

3. Not Seen Much Around Here And it Should Be - Take a Look on SQL

4. Regarding insertion

5. Oracle skilled team is looking around (and abroad)

6. Delphi / CGI / WWW

7. Looking for developer around Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

8. Delphi / Oracle / Stored Proc

9. Looking for VFPers around Penticton, BC, Canada

10. Need Help with Work around: Updatable Recordset on Access Form , sql server 2000

11. Upsizing work around?

12. STUFF work-around for a text field?

13. Working Around Sql Server 7.0 MultiConnections