Integrated Security & Security Manager

Post by Tom Bil » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

This may be dumb but some of my security changes didn't take effect until I
rebooted the server.  Especially the change from Integrated to Standard.

Tom

>I'm using SQL 6.5 and decided to change from standard security to
>integrated security. I made a Group called SQL Admins with Administrator
>accounts in it, and added that to security manger then revoked
>Administrators from security mgr. Since I've made the change I've not been
>able to connect in security manger. Also, I can't change the security in in
>SQL Enterprise mgr conifguration either.

>Thanks for any help.

>Dave Harris

Integrated Security & Security Manager

Post by Lorena Vajd » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I too, experienced this very frustrating aspect of Security Manager.  In fact,
the NT global group that I created I named SQL Admins as well.  When I revoked
SA privileges from the Administrator group, SQL locked me completely out of
Enterprise Manager and Security Manager.  I had to restore the Master from
previous backup, which has not created a whole new set of unresolved problems.

Lorena Vajda
Systems Engineer, DoD Health Affiars

> This may be dumb but some of my security changes didn't take effect until I
> rebooted the server.  Especially the change from Integrated to Standard.

> Tom

> >I'm using SQL 6.5 and decided to change from standard security to
> >integrated security. I made a Group called SQL Admins with Administrator
> >accounts in it, and added that to security manger then revoked
> >Administrators from security mgr. Since I've made the change I've not been
> >able to connect in security manger. Also, I can't change the security in in
> >SQL Enterprise mgr conifguration either.

> >Thanks for any help.

> >Dave Harris

Integrated Security & Security Manager

Post by Lorena Vajd » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I too, experienced this very frustrating aspect of Security Manager.  In fact,
the NT global group that I created I named SQL Admins as well.  When I revoked
SA privileges from the Administrator group, SQL locked me completely out of
Enterprise Manager and Security Manager.  I had to restore the Master from
previous backup, which has now created a whole new set of unresolved problems.

Lorena Vajda
Systems Engineer, DoD Health Affiars

> This may be dumb but some of my security changes didn't take effect until I
> rebooted the server.  Especially the change from Integrated to Standard.

> Tom

> >I'm using SQL 6.5 and decided to change from standard security to
> >integrated security. I made a Group called SQL Admins with Administrator
> >accounts in it, and added that to security manger then revoked
> >Administrators from security mgr. Since I've made the change I've not been
> >able to connect in security manger. Also, I can't change the security in in
> >SQL Enterprise mgr conifguration either.

> >Thanks for any help.

> >Dave Harris

Integrated Security & Security Manager

Post by Richard Waymir » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Did you remember to add yourself & the account the sqlexecutive service is
running to the sqladmins group, and then log off/log back on?
--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE, MVP (SQLServer)
Principal Engineer, ARIS Corp.

> I too, experienced this very frustrating aspect of Security Manager.  In
fact,
> the NT global group that I created I named SQL Admins as well.  When I
revoked
> SA privileges from the Administrator group, SQL locked me completely out
of
> Enterprise Manager and Security Manager.  I had to restore the Master
from
> previous backup, which has now created a whole new set of unresolved
problems.

> Lorena Vajda
> Systems Engineer, DoD Health Affiars

> > This may be dumb but some of my security changes didn't take effect
until I
> > rebooted the server.  Especially the change from Integrated to
Standard.

> > Tom

Harris"